Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Movies and the "Bradbury feel"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies and the "Bradbury feel"
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Interesting choices. I thought Jude Law was excellent in A.I. I still like Ed Harris and recently, as I play this casting game, I think Johnny Depp would be a great Montag. I really just want an actor with intensity and depth.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black hair? Oooh, how about Kyle Chandler? He's intense! He's deep! He's terminally adorable and gorgeous!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also thinking Dylan McDermott, he is gorgeous and really is quite a good actor. I was thinking maybe also Dermot Mulrooney.
Luke Wilson would also be amazing
I actually think that Ed Harris would be a better choice for Beatty. I mean, look at him in THE ROCK!
Enough of my digging through dark haired good looking actors...for now!

Posts: 10 | Location: edgewater park, NJ, USA | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Sinning touched on a good actor in Hugh Jackman. He may not have the acting "chops" for the part, but I think he matches up well physically.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrother:
has anyone else seen "The Circus of Dr Lao"?

Yes, I watched it on video a few months ago. I liked it, too. FYI, Nebraska Press just published a brand-spankin'-new edition of it:
http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/scripts/Cart/smart.pl?...titems&ID=4222&tmp=1

Posts: 22 | Location: San Pedro, CA | Registered: 05 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just caught the 1997 British film, "Photographing Fairies," based on the novel by Steve Szilagyi, on the Sci-Fi Channel. I would recommend this to any Ray Bradbury fan or aficianado of British fantasy in general. Beautiful visuals, including great costumes and creditable special effects, fine acting, and a pretty fair story. The protagonist, Charles Castle, played by Toby Stephens, son of Maggie Smith (Harry Potter's Professor McGonagall!) and the late Robert Stephens, goes through a similar transformation to that of Montag in "Fahrenheit 451," very engagingly and convincingly so. If there's ever call for a British Montag they could get this guy. I only wish E. Nesbit's stories of magic had been given comparable screen treatment.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Hugh Jackman is certainly new to the American movie circuit, he is no stranger to acting. He studied drama at the Western Austrailian Academy of Performing Arts. He then did an ABC prison flick Corelli. He as also done a bit of theatre. He took the role of Gaston in Australian production of Beauty and the Beast, Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard and Curly in the Royal National Theatre's Oklahoma. He was also nominated fora Best Actor award from the Australian Film Institute for his role in Erskineville Kings. He has also done numerous other appearances in movies and tv in Australia and here in the US. I remember him from my father's favorite tv show, Snowy River: The Magreggor Saga (Man from Snowy River). He is a great actor who is just beginning to get what he deserves.

Posts: 10 | Location: edgewater park, NJ, USA | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott was very atmospheric it created visually the feeling that Bradbury's writing does in your head. The presence of the high rise building named Bradbury ? was it Bradbury Buildings ,might indicate that someone on the project was a fan , possibly the author of Do androids dream of electric sheep on which the film was based,and I can't remeber who that was either. This means one thing I'll have to watch it again some hardship eh!

Posts: 1 | Location: UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The author is Philip K. Dick.
The book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep
is an exellent what if about "almost-to-hyperhumanity" creations of man.
The film is one of my favorites, but again I prefer the book. I would like to view Ridley Scotts take on Something Wicked This Way Comes or F-451. His ability to create
environments, and emotionally intense moods that convey a historic/era to accurate detail would, enhance Mr Bradburys ability to
paint with metaphor. I really, contrary to many did like A.I. purely for the visual feast. I thought some of it could have been treated differently, but for me some of it was just eye candy, simple, but some uncanny clean design.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-22-2002).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle,
I also thought A.I. was well done, especially the visual effects. I liked your pick of Ridley Scott for director of 451, as well. Coincidence: I had never heard the name Ridley before until I read 451 when the woman who set herself on fire said, "Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out." Maybe that's an omen that Ridley Scott should direct the re-make.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One can hope.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kd

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I just finished viewing Photographing Fairies, the film had many of components, that Mr Bradbury so completely implicates in his work especially the loss of love, and conflict between the passions of man. The transformation of the skeptic with a fleeting reflection in a childs eye.
Complete with the blithe spirits you have the bitter opposition that provides the culmination of the photographers wish. I loved the film, the visuals were well done in the forest, I hate axes. Thanks for the recommendation!

posted Hide Post
I agree with Stand By Me (one of my all time favorites when I'm feeling nostalgic) and I have to add Goonies and even Edward Scissorhands. OK, not literary geniuses, but good stories with a little weirdness thrown in...

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

IMDB suggest if you like Something Wicked this way comes, you may like "The Seven Faces of Dr Lao"

also the link to the new publication of the book http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/scripts/Cart/smart.pl?...titems&ID=4222&tmp=1

mentions

"....Dazzling and macabre, literary and philosophical, The Circus of Dr. Lao has been acclaimed as a masterpiece of speculative fiction and influenced such writers as Ray Bradbury....."

Posts: 10 | Location: Auckland,New Zealand | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post