Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Attention all RB fans

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention all RB fans
 Login/Join

posted
Im new to this whole site and am very open to anything you have to say about RB. If you ever want to express a thought, don't hesitate to respond here.
the muse

Posts: 8 | Location: california | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im also new to this website and I believe that Ray Bradbury is the greatest author of all time

Posts: 6 | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
infernal486:

..........................W E L C O M E.......................

Take time to look thru all the postings with the Icon on Fire. Many times it is an interesting posting attracting lots of attention.

If you want to see some recent Bradbury lectures on video, go to RESOURCES...and scroll to 12-27-2002. Follow instruction to download player....on the posts for that particular Topic....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Bradbury at a book signing a couple years back. He is as great in person as he is when he writes. He didn't mind signing my large stack of his books, and he joked and chatted, telling stories, and I was just one of many in line. It was reall cool to meet one of my heroes and have him be such a great guy.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon:
With your stack of books to sign by Ray, that reminded me of something I heard years ago... that the most valuable Bradbury books in the future, will be the one's that...he 'didn't' sign......

But seriously....if you are going to have him sign books, get him to sign 'inside' the book, like above chapter headings, or at the beginning of his introductions, or write across the type of one of his poems.

( NOTE: Everytime, make sure its ink that won't fade in 10 years. Get a nice indelible ink, or archival ink. I had Neil Armstrong sign a photo back in the early 80's..and by 1990 it was light faded to Fadesville...)

Or get a signature across a photo on the dustjacket, then take the dustjacket...and Frame It... Perhaps a signature on the outside of the closed pages...anything different.... The name of the city where he is signing would be neat...if that, too, is in his own handwriting...

But, for a future generation, 'any' signature on his books will be treasured.....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting you mention this, Nard. The one and only time I got Ray's signature, I had a sudden moment of panic--what was the protocol? What page should he sign? The Title page? Half Title? Inside cover? WHAT? What if I gave him the book open to the "wrong" page and he just sighed and shook his head as he signed?

It didn't help that one of the event goons was pressuring me to "have my book ready". Add to that the normal stress of meeting my literary hero...

In the end, I decided on the title page facing a nice illustration. Ray signed right across the middle, right over a little typographical disign as if it wasn't even there, and he even gave his signature a little underline flourish.

I tease people that the line is actually where Ray's pen got dragged across the page as the Event Nazi took control of his wheel-chair and dragged him away. It's almost true.

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the topic of collecting Ray's signed books. Although I have only been actively collecting signed books by Ray for the past three years or so (first editions in particular), I have managed to accumulate over 50. Being a Southern California boy has certainly helped (what with my proximity to Ray's home), but I do confess to having bought a couple of rare titles already signed, and chasing down the occasional signed, limited edition.

The topic of how to have Ray sign your book brings up a couple of interesting issues/ anecdotes.

1) Do you prefer to have your books inscribed (addressed to you), or just plain singed (signature only). At one time I was squarely in the corner of signature only, but as Ray has personalized a number of signatures, with drawings and comments, in addition to my name, I have swung in the exact opposite direction, and now prefer him to inscribed my books (whenever possible).

By was of segue to the following story, it has come to my attention that Ray is no longer inscribing books. That is fine with me, but I wonder if any of you have encountered the same thing.

2) Now for the interesting, and humorous book signing anecdote.

While I was at a signing last month (for Let's All Kill Constance) in the Los Angeles area, there was an announcement made that Ray was not going to be personalizing inscriptions, and would only sign his name. Things were progressing smoothly, and Ray was signing and being his usual affable self, when a lady who wanted him to inscribe the book to her boss approached him.

Ray patiently explained that he was not inscribing books, to which the lady replied something along the lines of, �Well, I bought your book and waited in line, the least you could do is sign it the way I want.� Again, Ray explained that if he inscribed her book, it wouldn�t be fair to those of us still in line. This explanation didn�t seem to satisfy the woman, and she made a sort-of grunt/huff sound of dissatisfaction. Ray must of heard her noise of unhappiness, because he rose half out of seat (and if you�ve seen Ray move lately, that isn�t easy), looked the woman straight in the eye and said, �You can go to Hell, lady!� sat back down and continued signing books. Needless to say, the lady left the store in a hurry, and didn�t look back. Ray seemed unfazed by the encounter, and by the time I reached him, was in great spirits once again.

I couldn�t help thinking as I was waiting, �what a wonderfully cantankerous 'elder-statesman' he�s become!�.

[This message has been edited by Chrisman43 (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great anecdote. As I get older, I just get tired of people thinking they are always the exception because, "they're so special". When I clerked (years ago, but the registers were electric!), I used to get customer complaints. When people tried to go through my express line with over the identified amount, I actually kicked them out of my line and made them go to another. While I ticked THEM off, I was applauded several times by the people in line behind them. I can't abide petty selfishness.

When I met Ray, I went to a book signing he held for the Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury (1980). I got there very early and bought the book and was just browsing with my book tucked protectively under my arm. The signature table wasn't even set up. Suddenly I got a tap on my shoulder and someone asked if I was there for the Bradbury book signing. I said yes, as I turned around, and there was Ray. He said he'd be happy to sign right then so I wouldn't have to wait in line. I was in such awe, that I couldn't spit out what I wanted to tell him -- which is that the reading of F451 changed my life. He signed, chatted for a few minutes (probably amazed that someone so inarticulate had read any of his work) and then wandered off.

Very, very nice guy!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman43..

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's hilarious...!!

Mr. Dark:
By the way, what city was this where you met Bradbury for the first time?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-17-2003).]

posted Hide Post
I wish I wish I could get a book inscribed...but after the stroke, I think I'm lucky he can even just sign his name.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him in a Vroman's bookstore on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. The next time I saw him was at a lecture he gave in Pasadena, also. It was in an auditorium at Pasadena City College. I took some friends. It was packed. I still have the ticket stub:

Pasadena City College. Sexson Auditorium.
"A Lecture with Ray Bradbury -- Beyond 1984: Back Into Space". January 27, 1981. $6.50.

It was really fun. He was filled with energy. There wasn't a dull moment.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark::
Hmm... maybe ...maybe I was there...in Pasadena, at Vroman's....hard to say...I used to pop up everywhere back then....
But I do know for sure that I was at the Pasadena Playhouse, around 1987 thereabouts....when Ray put on his extravagant "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit"... Big Budget !! Ray turned it into a musical, and it was very successful. Perhaps our paths crossed somewheres.......

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark's comment about being speechless when he met Ray for the first time reminds me of my own first encounter with Ray, at a convention in 1995. I anxiously waited in the hotel lobby for my literary hero to arrive for his scheduled appearance. Then, I saw him walk through the door. He gladly posed for pictures with fans and signed books right there in the lobby. I rather timidly walked up to him, two of his books under my arm, and tried to speak...nothing came out. I was speechless for the first and only time in my life. Ray saw how helpless (or hapless) I was and asked, "Would you like me to sign your books?" I could only nod yes. He said, "Well, let's see who you are", and looked at my convention badge, which noted my name and that I was from Evaston, Illinois. He exclaimed, "Evanston? Hey, I'm from Waukegan!", and proceeded to chat with me for a few minutes in that lobby like I was a long-long friend, instead of a perfect stranger. I have never forgotten the kindness he showed a tongue-tied fan. I realized at that moment that someone can be a truly great writer, and an even greater person. Thanks, Ray!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman43--loved your story!! I worship Ray so much I can't imagine ever being rude or demanding to him. But it usually comes down to how you were raised, don't you think? At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, too many people today think the world owes them something. I'm glad to hear Ray didn't cave in to that self-centered witch.

I was lucky enough to get a personal inscription in my book the one time I got Ray's autograph. I had told him that I'd just finished teaching Martian Chronicles to my lit classes and that they really enjoyed it, to the point that several of them approached me to borrow more of his books. He liked hearing that, and wrote, "Thanks To: Lana. Good Wishes! Ray Bradbury." I know it's not too much, but it meant a lot to me. I had admired him for many years and was so thrilled to meet him. I'm actually surprised that I didn't become tongue-tied, as many of you did. I could have talked to him for hours, because even his every day talk is poetic sounding. But of course the "event nazis," as mentioned earlier (I love it), rushed me along. I will always treasure this book and inscription, and prefer it to just a signature.
Oh, and Mr. Dark: I applaud you for kicking people out of line who exceed their limit. They are so annoying, but most of us put up with it. Why do we do that?

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do we put up with people's crap? I think a lot of us (myself certainly included) are appeasers. We assume a society where people are polite to each other, but unfortunatly, we don't all play by the same rules.

What I liked was that I was applauded by the other customers in line for sending people to the other lines and not serving them. Apparently, I'm not the only one it bugs when people are self-centered and think all of us have to focus our lives to meet their needs. (Well, now you all know one of my peeves!)I was written up for this when customers went to the store manager to complain that I wouldn't let them through the line. My response was that I made more customers happier by sending them to another line than I angered by it.

Nard: I lived in South Pasadena and Pasadena in those days. Attended Pasadena City College and hung out a lot on the Fuller Theological Seminary campus. Although I didn't attend, I liked the atmosphere and spent a lot of money in the campus book store on commentaries, etc. A friend of mine got his MA in Theology there.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-18-2003).]