Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The parts about the cathedral construction were my favorites. It made me want to tour Europe and see all those beautiful cathedrals.

Of course, having interesting and well developed characters was also nice.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to several of the cathedrals in England and Germany. Sung in the German and Austrian ones, actually. But now I want to go to the ones mentioned in the book - and pay more attention!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R is For Rocket

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ADVENTURES IN TIME AND SPACE

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Rumpole Rests His Case" !

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Mortimer's/Rumpole's England to Bryson's Australia; now in the middle of "In A Sunburned Country"...

posted Hide Post
I just read INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS. That book reads just like the B&W 1950s sci-fi movie. In the book the setting is Mill Valley in Marin County, CA. (not too far north of B-II's Santa Cruz). I don't remember if that's the case in the movie. In the book the protagonists are attempting to make it out of the valley, over the surrounding hills, and down to Highway 101. Being familiar with the area, it's easy to visualize their escape route.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grassy! I too read that a few years ago. I think the movie does take place there; maybe not. Have to see it again. I think Kevin McCarthy ends up running at cars on the Golden Gate at the end, so it's in the SF Bay area. Seems to me the book had more of an actual ending than the movie....?

posted Hide Post
VThat movie haunts me everytime I watch it, the ending IS the movie, no one stops to help the guy. Nery errie indeed!

I am reading Cyrtonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Many metaphors, ala RB, and just keeps going and going, like the you know who. Almost 900 pages of very interesting code stuff. I have a background in the computer field , so some of the references mean something to me, but anyone can learn something from a read through this all-summer-long book.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the book a very good and definate ending. Humans kick butt!!!

posted Hide Post
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by too much:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Finished it at 6:50pm Sunday. Let me tell you how it ends...

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read the old children's book THE IRON MAN by Ted Hughes. This was later turned into the excellent animated feature THE IRON GIANT. The two are quite different. The book is written in a wonderful sing-songy prose similar to some of RB's better work, but not nearly THAT good. It's kinda like a modern day fairy-tale. Perhaps even, the epitome of the modern day fairy-tale. It's dark at times, suspenseful throughout and has a very happy ending. But there's nothing light about this tale. It's definately not CLIFFORD, THE BIG RED GIANT.

I loved it. I'm reading it to Spouse at bedtime. It's a story in five parts and tonight is Part III: What To Do With The Iron Man?

posted Hide Post
Currently I'm reading 'Heretics of Dune' by Frank Herbert.

After that, I plan on reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower book 2: The Drawing of the Three' (actually I plan to read a lot of Stephen King books, such as Misery, The Shining, ‘Salem's Lot, and the rest of the Dark Tower books). I have a lot of books I’m gonna read (among them a number of Ray’s books that I’ve not read yet) too much to name.

I just finished a book called ‘Voice of the Fire’ by Alan Moore. It wasn’t bad, just boring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack 451,

Posts: 5 | Registered: 20 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read the old children's book THE IRON MAN by Ted Hughes. This was later turned into the excellent animated feature THE IRON GIANT.

I am a big fan of Hughes. He is such a powerful writer. I love IRON MAN, and (though completely different to the source) I also loved the IRON GIANT film - one of the best & underrated animated films of recent years.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post