Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Lake,

I just took a look at that list, and was surprised to see that William Gibson's Neuromancer was listed. And while I'm pleased to Philip L. Dick represented, I wouldn't have gone for Ubik (maybe The Man in the High Castle).

It just all goes to show that anyone's list of 100 best is going to be idiosyncractic. To be honest, I don't know if I would expect Ray to be in the best 100 NOVELS, since his best work (to me) is in the short story. Now, if they do a "100 best short stories" and don't include him, there will be hell to pay!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then we agree to disagree.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only So-N-So even reading Thomas Wolfe? No one's even replied to the thread I started on him. http://forums.abebooks.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=abecom&msg=9825.1&ctx=0

Hmpf.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You Can't Go Home Again"
read it, can't go there again. Too good.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, that's the most positive response my question has drawn yet.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" count?

(just kidding - different Tom Wolfe)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II has got me interested in reading Tony Hillerman and now dandelion’s peeked my interest in Thomas Wolfe. Who’s next? Solzhenitsyn? I’ll need a family member with me to help carry the bags on my next trip to the bookstore.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw the new version of “Pride and Prejudice” over the weekend. Small theater, big crowd. The line went out into the parking lot. There were three or four young girls in line behind me, giggling and discussing the books they’ve been reading by assignment or on there own. What a pleasant line to wait in. I couldn’t help but smile when I’d hear them mention a plotline or an author I was familiar with. People are reading. Good for them and good for the teachers that are sparking their interest.

Recently read “The Drummer Boy of Shiloh”. That will haunt me for some time. Also finished Stephen Kings hard-boiled crime novel. Thorne Smith’s “Topper” is next but Thomas Wolfe and Tony Hillerman are on the shelf and they are calling to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a "Thomas Wolfe Reader" from the library with the intent of keeping Dandelion company, as it were. Haven't cracked it open yet. Soon.
Just read some Poe and am in the middle of the Stephanie Barron Jane Austin series, but most of my reading time right now is taken up with music study.
Is "Topper" that upon which were based the movie and TV series?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Sometimes the source material can be better than the film. Don’t you think?

posted Hide Post
Nearly always, to be sure!

posted Hide Post
I have been reading Cleopatra, a biography by Michael Grant. It has been very interesting reading, especiallly since it parallels my study in a Bible discussion group.

It is fascinating when other sources confirm accounts in the Bible.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! Reading bits from the 1st Century accounts of Josephus and Eusebius, too,
bring the N.T. alive.

posted Hide Post
Yes, it is. Josephus is quoted several times throughout. He is widely accepted as a historian and is quoted often in our literature.

Speaking of reading, a month or so ago I faxed to Ray the articles he had previously written for the section In His Own Words with the thought that he would provide an update. I am going to fax them again to him to see if he might do this as I am sure many of his fans would enjoy reading an update.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! I hardly ever visit any of the parts of this site other than this Message Board. To have The Man Himself contribute would be wonderful.