Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
You are right of course about Traddles hair. Your memory is better than mine.

My name is not from “David Copperfield but from “Something Wicked This Way Comes.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, your a very pivotal chapter! Thats uniquely profound even for Bradbury. Thats cool, and I like your name as well. By the way, I'm halfway through October Country, it is so creepy. The Jar really jarred me. He is a great writer of horror as well. My personal favorite list for R.B. is Dandelion Wine, Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked, Illustrated Man....pretty even after that give or take. I hope that Farewell to Summer really does come out on the first day of summer. I am so looking forward to that one.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look what the firemen are reading:

http://www.wednesdayjournalonline.com/main.asp?SectionI...leID=3787&TM=3055.68

Many communities have banded together to read F-451 in the last few years (starting with LA), but this community sounds really special. Between the firemen petitioning and Sam Weller coming to speak, RB couldn't ask for more from his home state...except make him poet laureate!

Lake

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is good!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
RB couldn't ask for more from his home state...except make him poet laureate!

They will probably get around to that in due time...although in my humble opinion they should have done it long ago.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I am on a mission writing down hints about books to read and poetry. I am now fully realizing what great minds I am in company with here on this site. It took me well over an hour to compile my "short list". Am also currently looking for a nightwatchman position in a small town library, so I can read all night long!

Mr. Dark, your list looks particularly challenging and diverse, thanks for the effort.

Thanks also Grasstains, have read very little other sci-fi other than Bradbury & Heinlein, those other authors sound intriguing.

I did want to add that I was surprised by the depth of Dumas's Three Musketeers when I read it, I thought it was superb. I bought The Man in the Iron Mask & The Count of Monte Cristo, but have not gotten to them yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up the street and around the corner from my house there is a pharmacy that’s been there since I was very young. In a rack across from where the two oak telephone booths used to be (no, not the magazine rack, that’s up at the front of the store, this is the one near the back) there are books for children, along with some clay and crayons. Coloring books, puzzle books, dot-to-dot books and storybooks with pictures. One of those books is “The Poky Little Puppy”. Remember that one? My parents read it to me long before I could read for myself. When I was a little older and could go to the store on my own I would see it there and look through it but not be able to read what it said. This was one of those little things that made me want to read.

Today I was in that same store and glanced over at that rack. And there, “The Poky Little Puppy” still resides, staring out at me with that same happy face, exactly the same illustration on the cover. He’s still there saying to some other boy or girl, “Read me.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Thats such a wonderful story! That is one of the things I love most about this site, is the stories people have not only about Ray, but experiences in life101 that they share. I have always loved hearing stories from almost anyone, even strangers you meet on the street or the gas station. Its absolutely amazing, the stories you can encounter if you slow down and listen. When I was very small, about a year and a half, my Mom and Dad would read me this story, The Boy and the Giant, over and over again, until I liturally knew the words by heart. Family and friends would come over and I would astound everyone by "reading" this book aloud to them. I still have that book and treasure it dearly.

Must add in the interest of this string, that I'm almost finished with Machineries of Joy. I'm enjoying it utmostly but kinda stalled in the middle a little for some reason. A Flight of Ravens was odd. I wonder if that really happened to him.

posted Hide Post
Yes, "A Flight of Ravens" was odd and a story I visit often in my mind.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How come?

posted Hide Post
LONG LIVE RAY!

You have a funny way of showing your supposed love for Ray Bradbury. I had to delete your previous remarks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 2 | Location: In the books ... duh! | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(*sigh*) We haven't been subjected to one of these desperate adolescent pleas for attention in a long time!

Anyway, getting back to "Little Golden Books",
one of my favourites as a child and of my grandchildren today is "Mister Dog" by Margaret Wise Brown. I think it's the Garth Williams illustrations that kids find attractive.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO.44 in ’08.

“Mister Dog”? I’ll have to check him out. Wait! That pipe! He reminds me of Melvin Douglas in “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House”.

posted Hide Post
Bralling II, my same sentiments. Fortunately this kind of low life doesn't last too long as the quanity of brain cells that they have seem to diminish on a regular basis to the point where they are merely babbling.

Oh, how fresh and great the board as been these last weeks with intelligent and well thought-out posts. Now for us to be subjected to such drivel.

Patience, patience we must have and the low-life will slink off to other realms, or we should all hope so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That kid has had way too much sugar!

Question to Imskipper or anyone who remembers the post. Do you remember the name of the book you described about the kid that was handicapped and everyone thought he didn't understand things because he couldn't talk, but he was really very smart. He said, in the story that his dad was a gameshow host and was thinking about killing him out of sympathy. It seems like there were two books he recommended. Any help on where this post is or what he was reading is greatly appreciated.

Also, Grasstains, I have just finished going through this whole list of what people are reading etc. This is the coolest string, what a wealth of topics and books. You are to be commended for this, most interesting, and it gets very deep in parts too. My question to you is, in several posts, you mention reading books about last man/apocalyptic scenerio sci-fi books. Can you give me a short list of your favorite books in that sub-category?