Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"And to the boys at night: Toby Tyler, 20,000 Leagues, and just finished Robin Hood. (How about you, grasstain?)"

We're still working our way thru ENDER'S GAME, and throwing in some Bradbury here and there.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently finished "Paradise Lost"; reading "Paradise Regained". I'm also a good way through Steinbeck's "East of Eden" which I think is great, and appropriate after Milton, as it is said to be a modern retelling of the book of Genesis. Soon I'll start reading a graphic novel called "Bone" for my Writing for Younger Readers class. And then, several more to come, as always.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read Mr. Bradbury's Intro to "Buck Rogers in The 25th Century" this weekend. His comments are a few pages long and simply excellent. It is a time capsule of the Twentieth Century. Philosophical, critical, insigthful (re:Mr. D), humorous, and pure Essence-of-Bradbury.

The book is a collection of the panel episodes from newspapers and magazines (both b&w and in color) from 1929-1968. I put it down and had forgotten about it for the afternoon. Early that evening, unbeknownst to me, my younger son (not yet 7) is sitting on the couch reading Buck Rogers in the 25th C.

I have made a promise (tonight) to see how Buck, Buddy, and Alura are going to escape those evil Martians! He now wants to be BR for Halloween. Talk about "throwbacks!"

"Great Stuff, huh!?"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we all compulsive readers? (If it's words, I do, I just can't help myself!)

Reading right now (besides this board)-
"Development In Adulthood", for school.
Pat Murphy's "Adventures in Time & Space with Max Merriwell" (My favorite by her is "The City, Not Long After", but I loaned my copy and never got it back.)

Just read-
"Meridian" by Alice Walker
"People of Darkness" by Tony Hillerman (For those interested in religion, this is an author you should read.)
"Here's to the Newly Dead" by B.J. Oliphant who is also Sheri S. Tepper. ("Raising the Stones" is my favorite by her.)
(All three of these came from the county library's 'surplus' sale shelf. Books for a quarter! Whee!)

I'll probably read "The Secret Life of Bees" again next since it was mentioned here- it's one of those I just checked out.

My 12 year old daughter is also an avid reader, and I agree that the YA books coming out are much better fare than the 'Adult' stuff. One I bought for her because I enjoyed it so (it's very Bradburyish), is Paint By Magic. (I don't know where it is right now, so can't say the author.) Roald Dahl is also a favorite- I think we have them all except "James and the Giant Peach".

New Thomas Covenant books? Thanks for that info!

I need to check this board more often-

Later

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the DaVinci Code. Interesting enough, but all the riddles and repetition got tedious. It did make me want to read more about DaVinci, though. Also, I had to look up "The Last Supper" by DaVinci online and look more closely at the person at His right hand. I came away surprised.

Also read The Secret Life of Bees. A good read. Parts were mesmerizing.

The God of Small Things was also very good.

But nothing can compare to the prose of Ray Bradbury. It is poetic, satisfying, profound, and addictive. Guess that's why I'll always treasure him.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently reading The Bradbury Chronicles and The Life and Writings of Abraham Lincoln by Allan Nevins. What a thrill to read speeches, letters, etc., that were ACTUALLY written by the man himself. Modern day presidents rely on speech writers, press secretaries, etc., to deliver/write/convey the message. In that respect, Bradbury is a man among men. Like Lincoln.

posted Hide Post
Hzving finished Sam's book about Ray, I read a Robert Ludlum novel "The Rhinemann Exchange," finished that and now am reading "The Breach" about the Impeachment of Bill Clinton.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently reading the biography of Fr. Seraphim Rose, some Jeffery Deaver; re-reading "Hitch-hiker's guide" and just re-read "Chrysalis".
Just saw the movie of "Hitch-hiker's" last night. Not bad, but they could've done a better Marvin. Also changed the story some - left out lots and added a little.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to keep this topic active, Lake and Biplane! Present list:
Autobiography of Lowell Thomas
Lord of the Flies
Something Wicked TWC
Moby Dick (w/boys)
Shoeless Joe (Jackson) (w/b)
Aesop's Classic Fables (w/b)
The Original Stories of the Twilight Zone
Childhood's End
Masterpieces of World Philosophy (200 essays)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Just finished reading The Bell Jar.

I will be reading The Illustrated Man

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read a graphic novel "Bone" by Jeff Smith. Went on to read Russell Banks' "Rule of the Bone" which was quite an interesting modern retelling of "Huck Finn". I'm also finishing Steinbeck's "East of Eden", which is an amazing epic novel. I think I'll re-read "The Great Gatsby" and then check out Christopher Paolini's "Eragon". And from there...who knows?

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reread East of Eden last year and was knocked out by its beauty and power. I guess aging up has its perks. Also, years ago I read The Bell Jar and could feel Plath's depression seeping into my bones. Although I've read The Fountainhead, I've never read Altlas Shrugged or Moby Dick. I loved Cold Mountain;it's in my top ten. I'm always on the look-out for a great novel, classic or otherwise. Does anyone know of a great literary suspense/thriller novel?

posted Hide Post
I imagine many literary suspense/thrillers exist. If you want a classic and like Dickens, I love his last complete novel, "Our Mutual Friend". Great characters, suspense, and a twist or two.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Dicken's. Thanks. I'll get a copy of Our Mutual Friend. Strange,I've never heard of that novel before. Any other suggestions??

posted Hide Post
A TURN OF THE SCREW by Henry James is a good one, but it's rather short (a little over 100 pages).

==============================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post