Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Biplane, be of good cheer!
My laconic post ("42") was prompted by Butch's phrase posted earlier, i.e. "Thanks for all the fish". You'll find enlightenment as to the meaning of these seemingly arcane and recondite terms by reading Douglass Adams' "Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy". I highly recommend the BBC radio version available on tape and alluded to somewhere in the archives.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, I found out who said Earth Abides was good, had to go back a ways. April 2005, it was Mr. Dark and Grasstains discussing it. Ironically you Imskipper were in between them talking about Martian Chronicles. That may have accounted for my misremembering that as coming from you.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmskipper:
Robot--I do not know what "Earth Abides" is. I think someone else must have recommended it. As for my reading--I just finished reading and teaching "The Martian Chronicles" to a seventh grade class. I was pleased with how it went. They especially loved "Usher II," and some of them have now been inspired to read some Poe. Also, one student borrowed my "Fahrenheit" book and is well into that. Now we have moved on to "The Hound of the Baskervilles." It is very difficult for them at first, but they are slowly getting used to the writing style and they are getting drawn into the mystery, too.

I LOVE "USHER II"!!!!!!!
I memorized Stendahl's speech that starts with, "Yes, one of those, Bigelow..." and ends with "and they gave the Looking Glass one hammer blow to smash it and every Red King and Oyster away!"

Every time I read it I feel the blood pounding in my temples, the sweat forming on my upper lip, my hands start to fist and my eyes start to glisten. Ah, to feel such passion about something!

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
The Demolished Man” came before “Minority Report” and although some haven’t heard of it, it is arguably one of the most famous of all science fiction novels--certainly one of the most important.

Ah, Mr. Dick (the other Mr. Dick). I imagine he’s still flying kites somewhere.
“Would you like to hold the string?” Mr. Dick asked.
“Yes, I think I might,” I replied.
“And you're Chap is it?”
“Yes, Mr. Dick, I’m Chap.
He began to laugh and scratch his nose. “You’re a fine Chap of a Chap, I say—up, be careful there. That’s going to get away from you and then what?”
“’Mr. Dick. You’ll set us all right.’” I thought.
Aunt Betsey yelled out the window, “Has that Robot fellow read “The Demolished Man” yet?
“Not that I can tell, Mamm,” I replied.
“Then tell him to commence!” She roared.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy and Happy return, Uncle!! How are things in the western regions of this great country?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JANET! DONKEYS!

ImageEdnaMayOliver2.jpg (5 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to Mr. Traddles and he tells me that he is almost finished with the book and shall loan it to me when he completes it. He also tells me it has completely demolished his hair once again. "Aunt Betsey, please be so kind as to stop throwing sticks at the donkey in the yard whilst I am in it. One nearly struck me in the noggin. Please tell this foul creature Uriah Heep to keep his pale distance from us, he gives the ladies the weedjies."

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading "Tracy and Hepburn--An Intimate Memior" by Garson Kanin. It is quite interesting as are the two subjects. It will be particularly interesting to see Ray's new work when he had her in mind when he wrote the treatment for a movie.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, ‘e is so ‘umble, Master Lincoln. So very ‘umble.
He said “noggin”.

biplane1,
That sounds like a great book. I understand that Garson Kanin and his wife Ruth Gordon wrote a number of screenplays for Tracey and Hepburn so the anecdotes must be fun.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done english accent, Chapter. Oh, when you said that, it completely gave me goose bumps. He could have written a whole horror novel based on Uriah. What a truly creepy character. And where did he get that name anyway? I actually used to like some of the songs from the band of that name long before reading the book.

posted Hide Post
blackdog--That's my favorite part of the entire chapter, too. I guess great minds think alike!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that the Demolished Man is enroute through the gubment mail from Amazon for .49 centavos. Thanky.

posted Hide Post
If you do find time to read it, forget when it was written and see if it stands up well today. I’ll be very interested in your opinion. Thanky say.

posted Hide Post
I am currently reading Midworld by Alan Dean Foster. F.P. The West is sunshiny, and hot like a desert should be, The Rivers are High, and the Women are Burly, especially my wife. But don't tell her she is burly to her face, or she might whallop you upside the head. She went up to Pineview Dam last night to clear her head. We call that the DAMN, Dam, But other than that you could still ski here. You would just have to the go to the snowfield on top of, MT Timpanogas like my Uncle Earl did when he was young. The locals just use garbage bags, or just slide down on their butts. One year when I was young my Dad says I climbed up 11 times! He was a Forest Ranger, and we lived in a house with an Ice box on top by Timpanikkee Campground... When are you
gonna have anytime too come visit? You could ski at Nordic, or Powder Mountain. And crash at our place if you want. You could even come into the Library I work at if you like. And Yes, It is good to be Back. Your Friend, in arms...
UNCLE. p.s. Live Forever... p.p.s. Rock on Dude...

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Bleak House". Great larger-than-life Dickensian characters, atmosphere, and a good plot. I enjoyed it very much, but not as much as some of his others.

Next week I begin Dandelion's book, which reminds me, I recall a few recent posts that indicated some of you out there are reading "Seven For Oregon" or have recently read it; and yet I haven't seen any postings about your reactions to it.
Must all be awe-struck, I guess!