Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
groon,

oh yes, From the Dust Returned is another of Ray's "fix-ups", where he stitches together a bunch of old stories and calls it a novel. These ones go together reasonably well, but I was surprised to find "On the Orient, North" in there, as it had never occurred to me that it was from the same universe as Homecoming and Einar.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually have several books going at once. I just finished reading ELDEST by Christopher Paolini and DIETRICH BONHOEFFER, A BIOGRAPHY by Eberhard Bethge. I am currently reading MESSY SPIRITUALITY by Mike Yaconelli, THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES by Sam Weller, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF SHAOLIN by Wong Kiew Kit, and THE FILM DIRECTOR by Richard L. Bare. Next up is TESTAMENT TO FREEDOM by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and who knows what else may strike my fancy.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love to read the Bonhoeffer biography. He's one of my life heroes. Is this a good one? Is it recent?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bonhoeffer biography was wonderful. It was written by Eberhard Bethge, his student and best friend. (Bethge also gathered Bonhoeffer's notes/letters and put them together for a couple of posthumous books.) It was originally published in Germany some years back but this edition came out in 2000. It is published by Fortress Press in Minneapolis. It is very conprehensive (at 1048 pages is should be) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I discovered Bonhoeffer fairly recently through THE COST OF DISCIPLESHIP, but he has become a hero of mine.

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
blackdog: The Complete Book of Shaolin, sounds interesting! This you may have already read or would find very enjoyable if your interests lie in the philosophies and cultures of China, 1500 years ago:

Red Pine's translations of Bodhidharma's teachings~

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/086547399...118-6485703?v=glance

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Cost of Discipleship" was my introduction to him, also. Amazing person, amazing writer. I like his dismissal of "cheap grace".

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting, I may have to check it out.

posted Hide Post
I recently wrote a 25 page Bible study on discipleship and a lot of my ideas came from Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

posted Hide Post
"I was surprised to find "On the Orient, North" in there, as it had never occurred to me that it was from the same universe as Homecoming and Einar. -Phil"

I just read "On the Orient North" yesterday. What a great story! I'm not sure I even want to finish the book now. What could top that? It may not fit directly with the rest, but I think it has such a strong metaphor. A new favorite Bradbury tale for me, I think. As for the rest of the book, I love the character of Cecy, probably just because I want to have her powers, but I didn't care much for the story "Homecoming". I know it's highly talked about among fans, but I don't know, I just didn't get into it. Maybe I'll read it again in ten years and love it, who knows?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently read “The Emissary” from “The October Country”, a real fun October story. Am now enjoying “1776” and “Mutts 10”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may as well know I am reading "Of Time and the River" by Thomas Wolfe and it's just the most perfect thing I could be reading at this point. In some places it is as if the author is speaking to me directly.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today read once more 'Strawberry window'. Great story, i feel that it is true for my life: always go further. Not on Mars Smiler, but nevertheless.

The previos book was 'Idiot' by Dostoevsky. The classics, what more to say?

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always felt sorry for Dostoevsky, because on the spine of the book it usually says "Dostoevsky The Idiot".

(Theodore Sturgeon was originally going to call a book "The Fabulous Idiot", but when he realised the spine would say "Theodore Sturgeon The Fabulous Idiot", he decided to change it to More Than Human.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"More than Human" was one of my favorite books.

posted Hide Post
It still is one of mine. Sturgeon was a wonderful writer whose works deserve to better known, especially by those who seldom read fantasy and SF.

- Phil