Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Lake--Wow! So much time has passed since you wrote such nice things about me. I have not been to this wonderful site in days since I am frantically busy, getting ready to move. Thanks so much for the great compliment. My book club meets next week, and I am anxious to see how the students have responded to SWTWC. To all my friends here--I am moving next week. I have bought a new house with a huge yard and a front porch in a quiet, kind of old-fashioned neighborhood. I think it is very Bradburyesque!! I am looking forward to spending the winter making landscaping plans, as it is virtually a blank slate. I said the house was new, but only to me. It was actually built in 1921 and has lots of cool old features--oak floors, a large window seat, a horseshoe pit, etc. I am so excited!! Right now my life is consumed with packing, packing, packing, so I have not had the chance to come here very often. I miss you all, and will check in as often as possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lmskipper,

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:

Congratulations on your ''new'' home. Is it in the city...or suburbs?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless all in your new home!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skip, congrats! Take advantage of that front porch! (see previous posts)

Chap, what are you doing up so late?
I just got back from a 4 hour choir rehearsal, so I'm winding down - having a whisky and a bit of cheese. Fortunately, I'll sleep in 'til 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What book are you reading currently?

Vintage Ray Bradbury, (Something like that anyway i picked it up at a yard sale, from 1960 ^_^)

What book did you just finish?
The Zen of Writing by Ray Bradbury

What book will you read next?
Either Catcher in the rye, or The Foundation Trilogy

I tried to change the world but they wouldn't give me the source code

Posts: 2 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shylil,
Go with the trilogy. “Catcher in the Rye” caused the demise of the fedora, as we knew it.

Source code: E=mc2 + 711.

Braling II,
Actually it’s not unusual for me to be up past midnight reading a little of “Washington’s Spies” and a little Ellery Queen from 1935. Interesting Wallace and Grommet emergency snack you describe.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cracking!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I finished "The Stars My Destination". Very imaginative and quick-paced, but I'm not too impressed with Bester's style and/or syntax. (Bradbury's so good with words, it's easy to get spoiled!)
Some very exciting, scary, and funny bits, though. Definitely worth the read.

posted Hide Post
Hey, Braling II, Braling I here. I'm just about to start "Mockingbird : a portrait of Harper Lee". I'll let me know how it is, shall I? (heh, heh)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Hey, Braling II, Braling I here. I'm just about to start "Mockingbird : a portrait of Harper Lee". I'll let me know how it is, shall I? (heh, heh)

I'm interested in hearing about that one as well. I always loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" (both movie and book) and my interest in Harper Lee grew when I saw the movie Capote. I've been thinking about reading it.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a really nice hardback of 'Again, Dangerous Visions.' That's the anthology edited by Harlan Ellison in the 70's.

This same bookstore in the country, out in the middle of nowhere...had a signed copy of '2010' in a dusty old glass display case, so I bought it. Price was very reasonable. Will read that one next. Saw the movie. Have never read the book. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, y'all, I just finished "Mockingbird - A Portrait of Harper Lee" by Charles Shields. Very good. I had no idea she was so instrumental in assisting Capote in researching and writing "In Cold Blood", though he never gave her the credit she deserves.
Here's one of many reviews. Though not necessarily the best one, it is by Garrison Keillor.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/books/review/11keillo...rtner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Here's another that tells more about the book itself:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06162/696809-148.stm

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm definitely going to have to read that one. It sounds quite intriguing.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In betwixt Farewell Summer I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. Excellent book. At my wife's suggestion I had bought the DVD (television Hallmark presentation which was excellent with Jon Voight).

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
In betwixt Farewell Summer...

'Betwixt' is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post