Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Still enjoying the Wodehouse.
Started "Terminal Man". Never having read any Michael Crichton, I thought I'd give him a read. So far, so good. Lots of research obvious. Writing style and characters so-so.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Crichton, but don't think much of Terminal Man. Have a go at The Andromeda Strain, much better.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do. Ta, Phil.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent way too long reading Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", although it was well worth it. He's got to be one of the most intelligent writers living.
Took a nice stroll through Saroyan's "The Human Comedy". The good-natured characters and that small town were so refreshing!
Just finished Bill Bryson's examination of the English language and its history, "The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way." That was very intriguing and a highly interesting look at a subject that could easily be made boring by the wrong writer. Bill Bryson is most certainly the right one.
Just started (finally) Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and I can tell I'm going to like it!

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spent way too long reading Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", although it was well worth it. He's got to be one of the most intelligent writers living.

That sounds familiar! I loved Eco's NAME OF THE ROSE, and have been plodding through MYSTERIOUS FLAME OF QUEEN LOANA (on and off) for quite some time. Eco's books certainly are long-term commitments, but always rich, rewarding reads.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lake Wobegon Days Garrison Keillor

One of the best-written books I've read - and one of the funniest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, good stuff. He's quite a raconteur. I got to be in the audience years ago when "Prairie Home" did the show in San Jose.

posted Hide Post
It's even funny without the extra 'n'. We get it transmitted here on Radio BBC4 (that's the posh channel).
Heatwave in UK and boy! you should see the skinny white legs on show. Mr Tinkerbell is positively embarrassing.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know- I was in Wales a few summers ago when there was a heat wave, and I've never seen so many sunburned people!

I've finished "The Egg and I" and am now reading "The Science Fiction Century" (ed. David Hartwell), a tome of stories by many authors, but not Mr. B! Each story has an intro/ bio bit and he is mentioned in several of these. I got it so I could read "Enchanted Village" which was discussed earlier.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
It's even funny without the extra 'n'.

But funnnier with!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I got to be in the audience years ago when "Prairie Home" did the show in San Jose.

And I was in the audience here at the Hollywood Bowl when they were doing the tie-in show to the fillum. Streep was there, Madsen, Reilly, etcetera.

They were here again last Friday night but I couldn't make it, alas.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Fancies and Goodnights by John Collier with an introduction by Ray Bradbury.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, you'll enjoy that! I read that only a year or two ago myself. I think it's "Green Dreams" that was the story upon which "Little Shop Of Horrors" is based.

posted Hide Post
I'm on my second attempt at 1491, by Charles C. Mann. A fascinating attempt to get to the truth of what the Americas were like before Columbus.

(Why the second attempt? I started reading this on a plane two years ago, and it kept me riveted through a five-hour flight. Flight over, book went on shelf. Life took over. I recently decided to start it again, and am riveted once again.)

Incidentally, 1491 would be a good read for anyone interested in first-contact science-fiction stories. And, of course, there are some parallels between The Martian Chronicles and the European colonisation of the Americas.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
A fascinating attempt to get to the truth of what the Americas were like before Columbus.

Who would know?

quote:
...there are some parallels between The Martian Chronicles and the European colonisation of the Americas.

Yeah - a lot!

Riveted is a good word.

"Live Forever!"