Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Was there a character in "Treasure Island" named Blackdog? It's been many years since I last read it? I chose the name because this was one of the first websites I discovered when I got internet access and I wasn't very creative about choosing a user name. I have a black lab . . .

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just going off memory here, but I think Black Dog was the blind guy sent to give the Black Spot to the lodger (whose name does escape me) at the Admiral Benbow Inn at the beginning of the story...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that was Blind Pew (sp?)? But it has been a long time.

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Dog had a scar on his cheek and came into the Admiral Benbow Inn looking for Billy Bones. After Jim Arkins (Hawkins) lets on that he’s there, Pew shows up with The Black Spot.

“It’s done!”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah ha! Mystery solved! Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, Chap! And how could I forget a name like "Billy Bones"?!
Arrrr.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahoy, Braling II, Matey. Sometimes our sails aren’t fully hoisted amidships. Rest your bones easy and have a good smoke. I see old Bill’s face is lit by the fire and he’s telling Jim a new tail. Likes to talk with his hands, he does.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read "Treasure Island" 26 years ago and remembered Billy Bones only because I saw a play based on the book only three years ago. Also, last time I visited a friend he was reading a kids' version to his son. I am only just getting around to "Hans Brinker"--intended to read it some winter but it didn't happen so I'm having to read it in late June!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arrr. Mark yer calendars now, me hearties:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

posted Hide Post
Avast! ‘Till September is a long while to way anchor.

posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong Chapter 31, but shouldn't it be "weigh" anchor?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avast! 'Till September is a long time to weigh anchor.

biplane1, did you used to buzz the tower?

posted Hide Post
Returning to topic, I just finished Vol.1 of "Chronicles", Bob Dylan's autobiography. Very good, but where's Vol.2?
Still enjoying John Collier's "Fancies And Goodnights". I may read "Bound For Glory" now...

posted Hide Post
Finished “John Paul Jones” then “1776” and am now in the middle of “John Adams”. Then will read “Washington’s Spies”. Guess I’m hung up on colonial history right now but let me get a glimmer of “Farewell Summer” and I’ll drop what ever I’m into and gobble it up.

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, I wouldn't have buzzed the tower (although Arthur Godfrey did and got into trouble for it) because it was, and is still, illegal. However, I am seriously comtemplating taking up flying instruction again to complete my Private Pilot's license.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post