Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Having just relocated my library of books, due to a major painting and reorganizing scheme (my wonderful wife's idea, not mine!), I undertook what we all say we are going to do but never actually get around to it, sorting through and passing on books that have lain unread for too long.

So, among a few boxes of duplicate texts, music cd's, and obscure titles, all of which were just not going to make it to my summer reading or listening list, I separated myself from a Hermann Hesse collection. I had probably ten of his works (novels, poems, and a collection of critical essays) dating back to my college and graduate days. All will go to our village library, so a good home has been found.

In any event, a passage worth pondering:
"For even the most childish intoxication with progress will soon be forced to recognize that writing and books have a function that is eternal. It will become evident that formulations in words and the handling on of these formulations through writing are not only important aids but actually the only means by which humanity can have a history and continuing consciousness of itself." (Hesse in Reading in Bed)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey fjp 451, I am reading a slew of books, at the moment. I donated a copy of the Halloween tree to
Stewart Library where I work.. I have been thinning out my personal collection to donate to the University library. I found a paper back copy of the Planet of the Apes in a book exchange, and plan to read it this Summer sometime. Currently I am sitting at the East gate of the Library, answering questions, and directing patrons to parts known in the library... Good to hear from you, from your neck of the woods.. Uncle..

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Apples of the Sun!

Next will be I Sing the Body Electric.

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle WA | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Virginia Woolf, The Waves. Directing my attention back to I Sing The Body Electric, which I'm half finished with. Next, The Caves of Steel, by Asimov.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. Watch out for “Spacers”, R. Lincoln.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EXCITING! OOH, OOH, WAY WAY EXCITING!

I'm currently at a Lewis and Clark reenactment. Just luckily it happens to be right outside a college library so I can go online. I'm hiding here until my camera battery recharges or the library closes (any minute now.)

Anyhow, this WAY FAMOUS AUTHOR http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/filmmakers/duncan.html came to the camp today! So I was all excited to show him a copy of my book of which I happen to have a mere 70 or so stashed in my car trunk just in case.

AND GUESS WHAT! He had the book and HE HAD ALREADY READ IT! I KNEW a famous author had my book as of course Ray has one, and appreciated getting it, but he never said he read it. This is one of only a very few famous authors to actually READ MY BOOK!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is are "Spacers" Chap.?

Hey Dandelion, that is fabulous!!! I love every Ken Burns documentary put out. He seems genuinely nice and down to earth too. Your in good company, fantastic rush I bet when you found out he already read your book.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you're IN the caves of steel, you’ll know what a Spacer is, R. Lincoln.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once sent Ray a short story I had written and he wrote back to say that it was so beautiful that he was going to keep it in a special file in his desk so he could take it out and re-read it. On my way to visit him with a couple of friends they said, "Let's ask to see your story." My very prudent reply was, "Let's not!"

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My amazement, admiration, envy and chagrin know no bounds. Must have been some story!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished I Sing The Body Electric. Now I know who Sam Parkhill is who everyone seems to be alluding to on other boards....Chapter 31, as is the case sometimes, I have changed my mind on which book to read next. We are taking a family vacation to Fla. and I love to read a good sea faring yarn while there, listening vaguely to the waves crashing repeatedly on the shore with the seabirds calling and the good salty sunny breezy air. In the past I have read such masterpieces as Moby Dick, The Bounty Trilogy, and Two Years Before The Mast. This time, its to be Joseph Conrad, Tales Of The Sea. Then when I get back, I will read The Caves Of Steel, followed by another Bradbury, probably The Halloween Tree(never read). I hope all of you are well and enjoying your summer, take care!

posted Hide Post
I remember Sam Parkhill from The Martian Chronicles. In the miniseries he was played by Darren McGavin, which I hated because Mr. McGavin was one of my favorite actors and I hated to see him playing such a jerk. But he was very good in the part. What an actor.

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked Captain Wilder though, how many stories does that character appear in?

posted Hide Post
I only remember Captain Wilder from The Martian Chronicles. I liked him too.

posted Hide Post
blackdog, I felt the same about Mr. McGavin.
By the way, did you chose your user name from the "Treasure Island" character?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post