Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Imskipper,

I've been meaning to respond to your post. Sorry for taking so long.

Any teacher who spreads the joy of RB's writing, year after year, is Teacher of the Year in my book. *Applause* for all that you do!

Rereading RB's works, always brings out my yellow highlighter. I think most of my paperbacks are ALL yellow now.

Isn't that the test of a much loved classic? Worn pages and underlined passages? Highlighted to excess?

Keep up the excellent work.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished reading Simak's Way Station which I really liked, filled with poetic prose not unlike Bradbury. Bradbury still numero uno for me though! Started an ambitious book for me, The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Its a fatty and will take me a while I'm sure. A little break in the sci-fi action realm. Next up on the turntable may be Farewell Summer!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the International Fantasy Award winner “City” by Simak; one of his best.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks Chapter31, I happen to have that but have not read it yet. That has something to do with dogs evolving beyond humans I beleive from reading the frontice. I kind of knew ahead of time that I would enjoy Simak based on the reviews I have read on here. Thanks again, hope you are well.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not started yet, but in honour of the impending season, and as the crisp weather picks up in the night air, will pick up Stewart O'Nan's "The Night Country" which, by all accounts is very Bradburian.

Some reviews:

“...scary, sad, funny...mesmerizing read...”

- Stephen King

“The perfect ghost story for a contemporary Halloween...”

- Peter Straub

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bot, just listened to Simak's "Junkyard" on X-Minus One (2-22-56)in a collection called "Legends Of Radio - Science Fiction Classics".
I love the early Sci-fi authors' imagination.
Seems to me their work was more imaginative, better-researched, and more articulate than most contemporary writers.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to fully agree, B-Two.

posted Hide Post
Yup!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by the above, I'm about halfway through "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. Hailed by many as a sci fi classic; by some, THE sci fi classic.
So far, it's, uh, jaunty.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But you’ve got to KNOW the territory.

“Mister Sapsea is his name,
England is his nation,
Cloisterham’s his dwelling-place,
Aukshneer’s his occupation.”

--The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Chapter 18

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Aaarrr! Ahoy there!
(It's Talk Like A Pirate Day!)
The above ditty must be to the tune of "Yankee Doodle", eh? What say ye?

posted Hide Post
Pipe all hands! It’s from an old English school song the structure of which was used by Dickens in “Edwin Drood” and by Bester in “The Stars My Destination".

I feel jaunty,
Oh, so jaunty...

But you've got to KNOW the territory!

posted Hide Post
George Clayton Johnson's "Twilight Zone Scripts and Stories".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skimming thru the following books, and occasionally reading thru an entire chapter...

Norman Mailer's, 'Naked and the Dead'

The Roald Dahl Omnibus

'Images of America: Wheaton', by Keith Call

Unpublished manuscript novel
'The Keeper', by Gary Richmond

'Ward No. 6 and Other Short Stories'
by Anton Chekov

'The Old Man and the Sea'
by Ernest Hemingway

'Heartwarming Christmas Stories'
New short story collection

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:The Roald Dahl Omnibus

Dahl is one of my five favourites authors ever. His "Switch Bitch" is marvellously, wittily adult!

"Live Forever!"