Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
'The one TRUE Grail...'

I saw some posts here about 'Treasure Island,' and pirates in general. If you want to read a very well researched, first-person account of the history of REAL pirates, just google on Daniel Defoe and you'll find THE reference book. It's in public domain for many a year, my hearties...You'll know the book when you find the title... Wink

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arthur Godfrey! Now there's a name from the past! I still have a 78 of him with the "Too Fat Trio" singing "I'm Looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover" and "the Thousand Islands Song". The latter is hilarious.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After twenty-six years, just reread “The Kilimanjaro Device”. I only knew a little about Hemingway when I read it the first time but now after finishing all of the short stories and three of the novels I have a much better appreciation for what Ray was doing with this story. Ray seems to have a Hemingway voice that he can turn on and off at will. For anyone who has read Papa, I recommend Ray’s “I See You Never”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And "The Parrot Who Loved Papa" is a humorous "all due respects" from RB to EH.

I simultaneously taught F451 and The Snows of Kilimanjaro in a Lit. 12 class this semester. My idea in doing so was to expose soon to be college frosh to two American Literary Icons: one, a most poetic, imaginative, metaphoric magician; while the other a realistic, adventurous, master of symbolism.

We all know how Mr. Bradbury got started. Hemingway's recognizeable style, from most accounts, was crafted while he worked as a journalist for a newspaper (in Chicago, yes?!). His steadfast editor demanded short, concise structure in his articles. The rest is history since this approach remained the key to EH's writing style throughout his life. (His experiences were in the heyday of American exuberance, 1899-1961. Plagued by depression in his final years, it seems he went out extremely dismal, sad, and tragic, actually.)

Ironically, I just started reading The Old Man and the Sea last night at about 1 a.m.:

"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf of Mexico and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. In the first forty days a boy had been with him. But after forty days without a fish the boy's parents had told him the old man was now definitely and finally "salao," which is the worst form of unlucky... So the story begins!
~
Chap 31, I agree with you observation of RB taking on EH's voice. Read "A Clean Well Lighted Place" (from Snows) and then read "No Particular Night or Morning." (from Ill. Man)

In other instances it has struck me that Mr. B is stylistically offering up some gratitude to Papa.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, in my usual decisiveness, I have dropped the Joseph Conrad for now. He is just a little over descriptive for me at this time. As we all know, sometimes its what you don't write that matters as much as what you do. Plus it was a huge fat book that did not fit into our "travel light" plan this time. So, once again let me revise my vacation reading list. Here's what I'm taking with me. The Caves Of Steel, Out Of The Deeps, The Halloween Tree, and Davy, all handily rubber banded together. No telling what I'll read while burning on the beach. Y'all take care, sorry for my indecisiveness! Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot: Your comment about Conrad got me thinking of revisiting some of the books that have left impressions on me over the years. The Trees, by Conrad Richter was one of those stories when I first encountered it. I remember a passage in which the young pioneer girl walked a brief distance into the sea of huge hardwoods and almost immediately became disoriented.

The canopy of the ancient trees blocked out most of the light. Everything looked the same no matter where she turned. Terror began to overtake her since she had no familiar point of reference. I recall she sensed someone watching her and then she caught a glimpse of a spirit like figure racing into the shadows, behind a stand of oaks.

I will put that on my summer re-read list.

Just finished Rend. w/ Rama. Now readin - I, Robot; Harmony of Tai Chi Chuan; Hiking the Adirondacks; and The Old Man and the Sea.

"School's out for summer...!" (Vincent Damon Furnier)
OK! Go ahead, BrII?

posted Hide Post
Sorry Butch, not an Alice Cooper fan, even though he did appear on the Soupy Sales show!
By the way, I couldn't play the above attachment. Probably the wrong default player...

Bot, better heed the advice NOT given by Kurt Vonnegut...

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/sunscreentext.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
Have read the Hemingway but can’t remember the Bradbury. Sounds interesting. Will investigate directly.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bot, better heed the advice NOT given by Kurt Vonnegut...

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/sunscreentext.htm

This was recited over the closing credtis of the movie "The Big Kahuna" with Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.

LMAO

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the instrument that Arthur Godfrey was known for playing? Be sure to spell in correctly.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ukulele

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask gets an "A"!
Do you know who else played uke a lot and had a large collection of them? OK, maybe Tiny Tim, but I'm referring to George Harrison.

posted Hide Post
A real gentleman and good man!
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/G/htmlG/godfreyarth/godfreyarth.htm

Arthur tunes - I hope these open!
http://www.musicoutfitter.com/store/item/617742017724/theoldredhead.html

"Alice in Pies"
http://www.sjnetwork.com/pies/gallery/tv/soupysales/02/index.htm

Never a big AC fan myself, though Grand Funk Railroad had some classic rock at about the same time.

posted Hide Post
Great stuff! No I'll have to get that recording! I wish the clip of "The Thing" was longer - very amusing. I remember hearing Phil Harris doing that.