Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
After that, I plan on reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower book 2: The Drawing of the Three' (actually I plan to read a lot of Stephen King books, such as Misery, The Shining, ‘Salem's Lot, and the rest of the Dark Tower books).

I've read all but the last of the DARK TOWER books; I've found them progressively disappointing, never quite living up to the brilliant promise of GUNSLINGER.

I find King a bit hit and miss. When he gets it right (THE SHINING, THE STAND, MISERY, SKELETON CREW, BAG OF BONES) he's fantastic, but when he doesn't hit the mark (CUJO, ROSE MADDER, DESPERATION, CELL ... etc.) it's excruciating.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading quite a few things since I last posted in this thread. Among them: "To Kill A Mockingbird" (again!); "The History of the English Language", which is actually a series of 36 lectures on tape by prof. Seth Lerer; and I'm just about done with "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, actually a book on tape read by the author. This last is very moving, well-written, informative, and riveting. My mum-in-law was here from England for a couple months and she read it and recommended it to me. I was interested in reading it not only due to her obvious enjoyment of the book, but also because I had been acquainted with some Afghans who fled the communists and came to live here in the bay area at the same time as the author.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of teaching a year-long course in crime fiction to my Year 12 group ('12th graders' to you Americans), so for some months I've been reading a diverse range of crime stuff, from Poe, Doyle, Christie, Chandler, PD James ... etc.
Currently I'm reading THE MOONSTONE by Wilkie Collins - fantastic mystery and 19th century melodrama.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oz-crumley:
quote:
After that, I plan on reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower book 2: The Drawing of the Three' (actually I plan to read a lot of Stephen King books, such as Misery, The Shining, ‘Salem's Lot, and the rest of the Dark Tower books).

I've read all but the last of the DARK TOWER books; I've found them progressively disappointing, never quite living up to the brilliant promise of GUNSLINGER.

I find King a bit hit and miss. When he gets it right (THE SHINING, THE STAND, MISERY, SKELETON CREW, BAG OF BONES) he's fantastic, but when he doesn't hit the mark (CUJO, ROSE MADDER, DESPERATION, CELL ... etc.) it's excruciating.

I've actually heard a lot of mixed things about King myself, especially when it comes to the Dark Tower Books. But I've read (or more accurately, listened too. God I love books on CD) The Gunslinger so many times now that if I don't read the rest I'll go crazy.

as for the book 'Cell'. I'm actually working though the book on CD version right now. its not bad, definitely an interesting take on the whole "Zombie apocalypse" genre. But I agree with you so far, its not his best work.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 20 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I'm currently reading through The Illustrated Man. Just read Kalidascope (spelling?) yesterday and am working on the Long Rain today.

I love it so.

BH

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw an interview with King a few years ago where he talked about the fact that he was doing cocaine when he started writing the Dark Tower books. After he quite the cocaine he no longer had any desire to finish the series, but fans were nagging him, so he just set to work to tie everything up.

I now that a lot of people liked the first couple of Dark Tower books who didn't like his other work. I tied rading the Gunslinger, but couldn't get into it.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackdog:
I saw an interview with King a few years ago where he talked about the fact that he was doing cocaine when he started writing the Dark Tower books. After he quite the cocaine he no longer had any desire to finish the series, but fans were nagging him, so he just set to work to tie everything up.

I now that a lot of people liked the first couple of Dark Tower books who didn't like his other work. I tied rading the Gunslinger, but couldn't get into it.

Are you sure you heard right? because I read
in the new intro he did for the revised version of the Gunslinger that he didn't really intend to abandoned the series, but that he just lost sight of the world (I mean the stories world of course) until after he was hit by that truck. And he said that he had no desire for his self-proclaimed magnum opus to be left unfinished like 'The Canterbury tales' was (or really is). or maybe that interview was done before he wrote that intro, I don't know.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 20 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Meet Mr. Mulliner" - P.G. Wodehouse!
(again!)
Plus lots of Scriptures - still Lent, you know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello B-Two!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello yourself!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack 451:
quote:
Originally posted by blackdog:

Are you sure you heard right? because I read
in the new intro he did for the revised version of the Gunslinger that he didn't really intend to abandoned the series, but that he just lost sight of the world (I mean the stories world of course) until after he was hit by that truck. And he said that he had no desire for his self-proclaimed magnum opus to be left unfinished like 'The Canterbury tales' was (or really is). or maybe that interview was done before he wrote that intro, I don't know.

I think the interview I saw was done shortly before his accident.

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just - John Adams, David McCullough
Current - 451, Ray Bradbury
Next - 1776, David McCulough
Next - Slaughter House Five, Vonnegt
Next - As I lay dying, Faulkner

Posts: 2 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 20 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my new library job I will be working with teens so I am reading a bunch of young adult books to give book talks on.

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton

I have finished all but the last one and have really enjoyed them all.

posted Hide Post
Rocket!!! Greg, is that you?

I am reading Snagged by Carol Higgins Clark. It is a light mystery which is great for reading over my lunch periods. And also my new chapbook I received from John L. Coker III.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post