Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling II,
What’ya know? What’ya say?

cadybug3553,
Sorry if I got cranky back there but crackin’ wise about me Mum generally leads to a difficulty. You mentioned earlier (02 May 2006) that you were reading F451. How did that turn out?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And so it should Chapter! Braling, you recently mentioned Vincent Price who is one of my favs. Couldn't you just see this on an amazon audio book, "Vincent Price reads Something Wicked This Way Comes". Gosh!, why didn't they tap into that one when they had the chance. Imskipper, I'm about half way through Earth Abides and loving it except the highly dated treatment of the blacks in it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about:

Don't let the door hit you in the butt as you leave.
Waste not, want not.
Tempus fugit

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nulo impedimentum.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Tempus Fugit - Vita Brevis" is the traditional motto on many sundials, as has been noted before:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/100109390...1009901/r/3071010011

How about "quis custodiet ipsos custodes" ?
Appropriate for many a sci-fi story.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tursiops truncatus, "And thanks for all the fish!"
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/05/09/dolphins.names.reut/index.html

We're not so smart after all!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Braling II for the look into the past. I had forgotten about my expounding on the Latin idiom. It was interesting to note that it was almost two full years ago that this was discussed, time does fly doesn't it?

It is hard to believe that I took two years of Latin in high school and a year of it in college and still was horrible at it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Precisely!

And it only took 7 mil. yrs. A mere blink of the galactic eyes.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading the Cats Pajamas for the second time. A friend of mine found a first edition at a Library book sale. Sweet Find...

p.s. Howdy fjp451 I have been out of circulation for a while, but I am back in the collection, again. Uncle A.G.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot--I do not know what "Earth Abides" is. I think someone else must have recommended it. As for my reading--I just finished reading and teaching "The Martian Chronicles" to a seventh grade class. I was pleased with how it went. They especially loved "Usher II," and some of them have now been inspired to read some Poe. Also, one student borrowed my "Fahrenheit" book and is well into that. Now we have moved on to "The Hound of the Baskervilles." It is very difficult for them at first, but they are slowly getting used to the writing style and they are getting drawn into the mystery, too.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II--Am I dense tonight or not? 42! I totally miss the significance of 42. Can you enlighten a tired old man? Thank you in advance.

posted Hide Post
Sorry Imskipper, I know it was somebody on here that said it was the best apocalyptic tale that they had read. And I agree, it is very good, except it was written by George Stewart in 1950 so some parts are very dated. I think its great that your gifting your students with Bradbury and other top notch literature.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
Have you considered reading “The Demolished Man” by Alfred Bester? If you lived in a crime-proof society (the police can read minds) and you plan on murdering your business partner, how would you go about it?

lmskipper,
I love what you’re doing with that class!

posted Hide Post
Chap, the title sounds familiar and the premise sounds very interesting. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks.

p.s. it sounds similar to Philip K. Dick's Minority Report.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,