Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury for my english class. Also, I'm re-reading The Da Vinci Code for fun.

I just finished Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

I don't know what book I'm reading next yet. I'm thinking of reading Angels and Demons next since I never got to finish it.
Big Grin

Posts: 1 | Location: in your head | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im reading faherenheit 451... it is a very good book im enjoying it greatly

brandy

Posts: 1 | Location: vegas | Registered: 03 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far, I like this group of students better than others we've had visit this board. They're actually posting things about the book (F451), rather than just goofy nonsense! (I repeat: so far!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting Monday, in grade 12, "Fahrenheit 451," and none have previously read it!

"It was a pleasure to burn!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grade 12? Seventeen or eighteen years old, about to go out into the world and haven't read F451 yet!?!?
What's this world coming to?
On the other hand, what a treat lies in store for them!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B2, true on "haven't read." I usually do it with sophs but haven't had that assignment in a few years. So, they have slipped through without it. However, they get to meet The Fireman starting next week.

It should be interesting to see how the older students respond to Montag, et al, compared to the youngers.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
What a pleasure it must be. Please keep us up to date.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally finished Lucifers Hammer and while I did enjoy it, I guess I didn't buy everything. Too many characters and a real abrupt ending. I give it a C+. Still in the midst of I Sing The Body Electric, loving it again. I'm about twenty pages into Seven For Oregon, seems good so far. Reminds me a lot of The Old North Trail by Walter Mclintock for some reason, also Old Jules by Mari Sandoz. Maybe the historical time period. Have you read either one of these Dandelion? I especially loved North Trail because of the Native American aspect, and his rare acceptance by the tribe, plus his wonderful writing and paintings. Talk about multi-talented. My next book to read will be one of Ted Sturgeon's. I have been wanting to explore his books for some time.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have yet to finish “John Paul Jones” but was able to read “The Shy Little Kitten” in a barbershop today—one of those “Little Golden Books”. You should have seen the looks I got. Don’t they have the greatest books in barbershops?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm already on page 110, I can't put it down. Its very good reading Dandelion. Moving, love the Indian parts about the sweat lodge and healing cleansing spirit. Those poor brave children, I couldn't have made it probably.

Today is Derby Day here and its a magnificent day for it. Mid sixties and clear. Alot of celebs in town. I don't know anything about horse racing and I don't have any bets. I like Storm Treasure just because of the name. If anyone has a bookie, please lay down two dollars to win, I will pay you back, I swear. Have a great Derby Day everyone.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are liking it. The Corps of Discovery was just through here for the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial and I sold one of them a book. I may sell more when Corps II comes back next week.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just finished it. It was the fastest reading I've done in a while, couldn't put it down. I walked around with it in my hand. I liked the parallel writing of emigrant and native american customs. The brutality had me thinking for a while that I was reading a King novel even though I knew it was true. After the trail, to live through all that and remain sane is hard, very hard to comprehend. Very well written and your research shines throughout! I hope you have more in the works.
Going to read Earth Abides next.

posted Hide Post
Hey Robot L.,
What is it you're reading? I scanned back through the thread but can't find it. It sounds really good.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
blackdog, its a historical novel written by Cornelia Shields a.k.a. Dandelion, fine moderator of this great site. Its about a family in the 1840s moving from Missouri to Oregon and the perils and triumphs encountered both on the way and when they arrive at their final destination. A wealth of info on emigrants and the Native Americans of the time period. Its an incredible tale. A well needed break for me in between sci-fi novels.

posted Hide Post
STILL reading "Bleak House"; on Part II now. Berlioz concert wlast night was sold out. Absolutely spent from that, plus singing about 4 hours this morning! Anyway, back to Dickens...
Chap, see references on the Old Board to "Mister Dog"!
We used to have a great village barber - Bazooka bubble gum, didn't charge policemen or firemen, the haircut's duration was directly proportional to how inspired the barber was to talk about whatever the subject was; even smelled like the old barber shops - like a time machine! But, alas! no more!