This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2951028901

13 June 2008, 01:41 AM
philnic
What Are You Reading ?
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Who would know?

That's pretty much what the book is about! It's not a collection of facts, its an exploration of all that is known, how it is known, and why much is unknown or unknowable.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
19 June 2008, 03:41 AM
tinkerbell
The Henry Root Letters by Henry Root. Essential reading for all Americans.
19 June 2008, 11:33 AM
biplane1
Facets by Walter Jon Williams. An interesting collection of stories. Far different from what Ray has provided.

Say Doug Spaulding, if you enjoyed Garrison's Lake Wobegon Days you will also enjoy his latest Pontoon. My daughter bought me my copy from the Lake Wobegon store in the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.

A side note: My son attended one of the broadcasts at the Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul and emails me a photo of him standing along with his friend visiting from California and Garrison Keillor.

For many years when I lived in Minnesota I had planned on attending one of the broadcasts but never did. Then several years ago I read where Garrison was going to be presenting a lecture at the Miami Book Fair and so I, my daughter (who bought the book for me) and my wife drove down to see him. He was excellent, as always, and I got to ask him about Lutefisk and his family in Anoka, Minnesota and got a couple of nice photos of him. About a year or so ago he was on The Craig Ferguson Show Late Night promoting the movie A Prairie Home Companion. About a month later I am watching T V on a Sunday evening when the phone rings and it is my friend calling from Minnesota who says "Someone wants to say hi to you." It was Garrison Keillor! So I got to chat with him for a few moments as he had been atending a Chocolate Festival in Truman, Minnesota.
23 June 2008, 12:26 AM
Doug Spaulding
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Chris Moore.

"Live Forever!"
23 June 2008, 01:36 PM
jkt
This Is Your Brain on Music (The Sciene of a Human Obsession.) by Daniel J. Levitin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
23 June 2008, 02:21 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Yeah, good stuff. He's quite a raconteur.

Not only that, but he's a great storyteller as well!

"Live Forever!"
23 June 2008, 02:46 PM
Braling II
JKT- I read that around Thanksgiving. I went to the book signing at which the author read some of his forthcoming book, which actually sounds more entertaining. I found this one, though very informative and well-written, a bit heavy sledding. I read the Oliver Sacks "Musicophelia" about the same time and quite enjoyed that.
23 June 2008, 06:24 PM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
JKT- I read that around Thanksgiving. I went to the book signing at which the author read some of his forthcoming book, which actually sounds more entertaining. I found this one, though very informative and well-written, a bit heavy sledding. I read the Oliver Sacks "Musicophelia" about the same time and quite enjoyed that.

I bought the book as a gift but is sounded so interesting I decide to read it myself and then buy her another one.

John King Tarpinian
27 June 2008, 03:45 PM
jkt
Johnnie Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. I re-read this about once a decade. This is one of the three books that, as a snot nosed kid, made me think about the world outside. The other two were F451 and Stranger in a Strange Land. War, Ignorance and Religion.

John King Tarpinian
13 October 2022, 07:57 AM
fjp451
It's been a while, but over the years this has been a consistently interesting forum!
The Bradbury Chronicles ~ Sam Weller
Dodge City ~ Tom Clavin
Where Miracles Happen ~ Joan Wester Anderson
Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend ~ Casey Tefertiller
Zen in the Martial Arts ~ Joe Hyams
13 October 2022, 09:28 AM
Richard
fjb451, I am currently reading HELL AND BACK, by Craig Johnson, the latest Sheriff Walt Longmire mystery novel. (I am hooked on the series, having read the previous seventeen!) While I have not finished it, this novel so far seems different from the previous Longmire books, as it has been more of a ghost or supernatural tale. Still, I am enjoying it very much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,
13 October 2022, 11:04 AM
fjp451
Sheriff Longmire episodes were must views when running 2012-17 or in their streamed versions. I am familiar with Craig Johnson's stories of the US Western regions, though have not read them as extensively as you, Richard. Walt Longmire seems off the page in a similar way as were the Earps, Holliday, and Masterson.

Though I have not yet viewed more recent movie renditions, I plan to do so after completing the above mentioned titles. This will allow me to take away written historic anecdotes that sometimes get ignored or overly embellished by the screenplay version. (My Darling Clementine, 1946, was actually quite true to many of the characters and events of the time.)

Traveling back to those times, when the country was just opening up, is fascinating: no electricity, phones, paved roads, shopping centers, reliable transportation, or microwave ovens for a quick meal. ....Sounds a bit like the Martian Chronicles!?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,
05 November 2022, 05:23 PM
Richard
ROBERT BLOCH'S PSYCHO SANITARIUM, by Chet Williamson, a 2016 sequel to Robert Bloch's famous novel PSYCHO. The book's dedication page reads, "To Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, and Richard Matheson, whose stories grabbed my imagination and never let go".

I think Mr. Williamson speaks for a lot of readers!
06 February 2023, 05:50 PM
Richard
ORSON WELLES'S LAST MOVIE: THE MAKING OF THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, by Josh Karl. This fascinating 2015 book is about the making of that film, which was directed by Welles over a period of several years, and which went unreleased due to a variety of issues (both legal and non-legal) for over thirty years after Welles' death. I saw the film at Chicago's Music Box Theater, when it finally had limited theatrical release in 2018. The film's all-star cast included, in the leading role, director (and sometimes actor) John Huston. Perhaps not surprisingly, the book contains a brief mention, when dealing with Huston's difficult personality, of Ray Bradbury's relationship with him when writing the screenplay for MOBY DICK. Mr. Karp writes:

"Overwhelmed by Houston's personalty, Bradbury found himself spellbound, intimidated, occasionally horrified, and frequently uncomfortable. Despite his charm and charisma, Houston scared the crap out of Bradbury, and he did so in particularly dramatic fashion one afternoon as they walked across a field near the director's home and suddenly came upon an angry black bull that was staring right at them. Crippled by fear, Bradbury watched in terror as Houston removed his jacket and waved it at the bull, beckoning the snorting beast to engage with them, only to seem terribly disappointed when the animal didn't charge."
08 February 2023, 10:15 AM
dandelion
Yesterday I finished reading The Last Cuentista by Donna Barbra Higuera. Middle grade Science Fiction, not as good as Bradbury but as good as Heinlein anyway. Highly recommended.