Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help Identifying a Story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Identifying a Story
 Login/Join

posted
Some years back, I read a very interesting science fiction story. I dont exactly remember who the author is even, but somehow in the back of my mind I have a vague feeling that it could be Ray Bradbury. I read it in Sinhala, my mother language, so now I need to find out and read what the original story is.

Here is the story in brief.
-----------------------------------------------------------
One evening there is a gathering of a few friends, all of whom happen to be science fiction writers. So they talk about what they write and how they come up with their ideas. The quietest among the lot is perhaps also the strangest guy, and he writes about an imaginary where so many thins are technologically advanced than our own.

So he starts telling others about this strange thing happened to him. He was imagining about a strange world to write about, but then he felt like he lives in it. I man, he created this whole world in his mind and later he finds he is living there. His explanation is that the Nuclear Power plant near his home powered this thoughts. So he goes back and forth between worlds, but then after a while he get stuck in his imagined world. Now, not knowing what to do he start doing there what he does best; writing science fiction. So he start writing about the world he came from which is much more technologically advnced that what he lives in now.

So his friends ask, okay thats awesome, so how did you get back?

Reply; I didn't, I'm still here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

So friends, can anyone please tell me if this is a story by Ray Bradbury and if so what is it?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a very interesting story, but I don't believe it is by Ray Bradbury. If it is then it is one I don't recall reading. I may be wrong.

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”

Posts: 18 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 19 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martian
Yes indeed it was a very interesting story, one that I love to date. So you reckon it's not by Ray Bradbury? Too bad if it is the case because then I'm back to square one with no clue to find what it is.
Thanks for the reply though.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds enough like him to be possibly written by him. The few I haven't read are either extremely old or relatively new. If it's one of the new ones I haven't read yet I would think it would have been recognized by one of the more caught-up readers here. Therefore my guess is it is by someone influenced by him.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post