Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Whats your favorite Book written by Ray Bradbury?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats your favorite Book written by Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
i absolutely love There Will Come Soft Rains. the whole idea is awesome. I also really enjoyed the Veldt, great story

Posts: 1 | Location: wisconsin, US | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F-451. I believe it is the book by Ray that has the most far-reaching effects, not only now, but many years from now.
Every time one of those book-burner types shows up at your school, library, office, or whatever, they will be directed to Fahrenheit 451 as a wake-up call.
This book will keep-on-keeping-on not just in 2006, but probably in 2106, as well.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite short stories: A Miracle of Rare Device
The Fire Balloons
Favorite Book: Dandelion Wine

Also love Uncle Einar and the other stories about "The Family".
I have given away 4 copies of Dandelion Wine now; every time I loan it to someone they ask to keep it. Oh well, they were only paperback! Does anyone know what Bradbury books/stories are available in hardback? I love this place and Ray Bradbury. Thanks for being here.....
Andrew

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
satguy84, many of Ray's books are still available in hardcover through a series of relatively inexpensive re-issues from Avon Books. These include THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, DANDELION WINE, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, THE OCTOBER COUNTRY, and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. FAHRENHEIT 451 is available as a hardcover from, I believe, Simon and Schuster. In addition, if you have more money to spend, Gauntlet Press has re-issued hardcovers of Ray's first book, DARK CARNIVAL and THE HALLOWEEN TREE in signed, limited edition hardcovers. (These are not cheap.) A British publisher, PS Publishing, very recently re-issued R IS FOR ROCKET and S IS FOR SPACE in hardcover in both a trade edition (unsigned) and an expensive signed limited edition. Finally, I believe both of the mammoth collections of Ray's short stories THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY (published by Knopf) and the more recent BRADBURY STORIES (published by Morrow) are still available in hardcover (although with the last book, it may require a special order from your local bookstore, since a trade paperback has subsequently be released). Some of these publishers (including Gauntlet Press and PS Publishing) have websites from which you can order the books directly. You might also check out Amazon.com, or check on the Advanced Book Exchange website at http://www.abebooks.com. The ABE website can also help you find copies out Ray's out-of-print hardcover books. Hope this helps!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit 451 because it is a deeply spiritual book, maybe even more than Ray himself realizes.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was about fourteen(I'm 55, now) I picked up a copy of the Martian Chronicles. I used to read it at night with a subdued light in the corner of my bedroom and softly read aloud so that I wouldn't miss any words or read it too fast....My SECOND favorite book is October Country...just because... Smiler

Posts: 3 | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't anyone like "The cat who could walk through walls"? I know it's not the most famous, but it's great!

Posts: 1 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that's Heinlein fineron.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My all time favourite is Something Wicked This way comes. I always get a shiver down my spine when i read the first page how many stories are so well writtenß How many authors are so talented?

gary

Posts: 1 | Location: Austria | Registered: 27 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheWayTheWorldBegins:
...how many stories are so well written? How many authors are so talented?

None. None.

My favourite is The Martian Chronicles.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More profound as days...months...years go by ~
http://www.phantomdragon.com/eBay/BallantineF451A.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Death is a Lonely Business

The two sequels I'm not quite as fond of.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many great ones it is hard to choose, but I generally go for Dandelion Wine followed by The October Country.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't improve on dandelion's choices, so I'll just second them.

If you count retrospectives, I may change my mind ...

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post