Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    HELP AGAIN!!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP AGAIN!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me all the ray bradbury books published until 1955?
the book i'm looking for is about a boy killing himself in a garage, and all i knw is that the book was published between 1920-1955. Any help?

Posts: 5 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think somebody has already identifed the story in another thread on this forum (wasn't "Long After Midnight" suggested?)

Anyway, you can view Bradbury's books and their contents on my website: go to
http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/books.htm

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you SURE it was before 1955? That story, "The Long-After-Midnight Girl" had its first magazine publication in Winter 1962. It may have been anthologized at some later point, but was never collected until "Long After Midnight" in 1977, and I can't think of any other Bradbury story with a similar plot or elements.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it was a book which was read by James Dean before he died in 1955, and in an article i read, it stated that the premise of the story was a boy killing himself. I am having great difficulty in finding which one it might be!
Can anyone help??

Posts: 5 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the article definitely say the story was by Bradbury? Is the article available online anywhere so people here could read it, or could you post the relevant passage for clues?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heres the link to the article: http://www.bigmagic.com/pages/blackj/column76c.html

...the passgae reads: "At their first meeting, Dean took her to his apartment and gave her a Ray Bradbury story to read about a boy who had hanged himself in a garage."

Can anyone help now?

posted Hide Post
Just a comment:

When people start "playing around" with satantic stuff, get outta the way. Even a Ray Bradbury story can be mis-used and mis-read...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No matter what the article may state as "fact", I am not aware of any story of Ray's that comes close to such a situation other than "Long After Midnight" which, as Dandelion correctly points out, was published years after Dean's death.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, in this same article, William Nolan's name comes up. Is this the same guy that wrote the Bradbury Companion? If so, this is two Bradbury tie-ins in this article on James Dean.

"For the remaining five laps Dean easily held the lead, finally taking the checkered flag with almost a full quarter lap separating him and the runner-up.

"He was a lead foot, hard on engines, but he wasn't afraid of the devil," claims author William Nolan, who was there that day. "Even while charging through the pack, he kept his head sort of slumped down toward his chest and his face was expressionless."

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr.
Dark:

I always found Nolan and Bradbury an odd couple when it came to cars. Ray, who refuses to drive....and Nolan, who is a car and racing enthusiast. In fact, Michael Cahill Nolan, Bill Nolan's father, was a racing pioneer, competing with the likes of such fellows as Barney Oldfield, 1908. Check out: http://store.motolit.com/motolit/1888978120.html

Bill Nolan was also one of the nation's top automobile writers in the 1950's and 1960's.

And Yes, Nolan produced 'The Ray Bradbury Companion.'

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-18-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This article http://www.rodserling.com/csorcerers.htm includes a photograph of William F. Nolan at the wheel of a race car.

As far as the story--proceeding on the assumption that it really is by Bradbury--if it isn't in the paperback, "A Memory of Murder," which includes a lot of obscure, many forgettable, and mostly gruesome tales--that means it hasn't been collected. The thing to do is to check uncollected or "Anthologized, but Not Collected" stories, which can be found on the "Complete Story Listings" thread. Those of us who have read some of these can eliminate certain ones for you, but keep in mind, some stories there are so obscure, if we haven't found them, chances are you won't, either. This is my only suggestion for not eliminating it as a Bradbury story entirely.

posted Hide Post
thanks alot, u guys been so much help...but i'm too lost to know where to start!
many thanks again.

posted Hide Post
I recently read A Memory of Murder and could remember no such story. But just in case, I skimmed over the entire book again this weekend. It is definitely not a story in there.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post