Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dandelion Wine Movie?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine Movie?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I don't know enough about Fitzgerald to comment on him. But what a coincidence that the previous GREAT GATSBY was directed by Jack Clayton, who also directed SWTWC!

That's why Bradbury wanted Clayton so badly--he did a beautiful Gatsby which was practically a copy of the book. He could have done the same with SW--instead he chose to stab Ray in the back and nearly succeed in completely ruining the film.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
How about Rob Reiner, who produced the masterpiece Stand By Me? As an adaptation it loses very little from the Stephen King novella on which it is based, and as a film there is not a weak link in it.

A first-rater. He could and should do a Bradbury.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...That's why Bradbury wanted Clayton so badly....He could have done the same with SW--instead he chose to stab Ray in the back and nearly succeed in completely ruining the film.

That was Ray's account, certainly. The only book-length study of Clayton (JACK CLAYTON by Neil Sinyard) details Clayton's genius for fantasy in his previous films, and suggests that his vision for SWTWC could have led to a stronger film than the one we finally got. But Clayton's fatal flaw was to re-write Bradbury without discussing it with him.

Ray was usually perfectly happy with other people adapting his stories for the screen, but didn't like people changing his scripts.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Autienne:
It might also be why his work is so difficult to translate into film.

Mr B's work exists primarily in the mind, and it take a special filmmaker to distilled it properly. A few have come close. J. D. Feigelson comes to mind. Also, Stuart Gordon and Norman Lloyd.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about Rob Reiner, who produced the masterpiece Stand By Me? As an adaptation it loses very little from the Stephen King novella on which it is based, and as a film there is not a weak link in it.

It was the best King adaptation (and film) up until Shawshank. Remarkably authentic in feel. I read the novella, and it was spot-on.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post