Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dandelion Wine : Our Opinion

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine : Our Opinion
 Login/Join

posted
This is a class project for English. We are trying to present our views on Bradbury's writing. In this post we will present some of our opinions on the novel DANDELION WINE.
We will be checking this thread periodically.
Below you will find some of our opinions regarding this magical novel.

So far, this book is very good. I love the way Bradbury words his sentences. I love his sensory details. I particularly enjoyed the passage about Mrs. Bentley when Bradbury is talking about her husband in the meadow.
-Jesse Freeleigh

I have brought myself to believe that DANDELION WINE is one of the best novels that I have ever read. I really like the way Bradbury grabs the reader and brings them into the book. You get a first hand experience of what really happens.
-Josh Bentley

This is an excellent novel and I love the images he creates. I am particularly moved by the phone calls Colonel Freeleigh makes to Jorge in Mexico.
-Lindsay Nebbs

I believe that DANDELION WINE is the best novel I have ever read. It takes me back to my childhood. It reminds me of what it was like to be a child.
-Stephanie Tridden

I love this novel because it makes me go back and think about times when I was a child. DANDELION WINE is like a reminder to never forget your childhood.
-Heather Auffman

DANDELION WINE is a great novel because it reminds me of listening to my Grandpa tell me stories about his childhood.
-Donnie Jonas

I love the novel at this point because Bradbury is not afraid to make the readers feel the emotions of the characters. For example, in Colonel Freeleigh's chapter I felt mixed emotions of peace and sadness.I was sad because I knew it would be his last time to experience something that he loved.
-Jessica Sanderson

DANDELION WINE is beautiful because it is universal. This novel tells the story of everyone's childhood.
-Jessica Quartermain

DANDELION WINE is a superb novel. Bradbury creates great images. The chapter involving the death of Great-Grandma makes me fell like I am actually standing next to her death bed.
-Nikki Spaulding

This novel has been the most rewarding teaching experiences in my long and storied career. I feel that Bradbury's tale of self realization set during a young boy's final summer of childhood is ideal for young adults leaving behind their childhoods. I feel that I have learned just as much as they have, if not more, during this course of study.
-Josh Wilder
(Anyone want to play the Witch's Tomb with Marion and the rest of the kids?)

"Like FUN you are.

Posts: 1 | Location: Fouke, AR USA | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compliments to the students and AP teacher who have offered this post. Too often we get days of gibberish that reflects little, if any, guided concepts which then could allow for individual ideas and reflections, as evident here.

Ironically, I just finished this RB classic with a freshman class. I assigned this essay:
Identify a situation in your own life that could readily fit into the plot of DW. Compose your ideas with an imaginative and detailed style. Explain where this experience occurred, with whom you were exchanging, what was the central conflict, and why this was a significant episode that somehow influenced you. (My 9th graders always surprise me with their moving and, at times, profound accounts.)

Thanks, JW-Octobergame, et al. It is interesting to hear the comments of upper classmen in relationship to Dandelion Wine.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-05-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the best thread we've had on either message board for a long time. I think this epitomizes what the purpose of these boards is.

Thank you very much for breathing some life into this gasping, dying discussion board.

The new discussion board is located here- https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/ubb.x/a/cfrm/f/2791083901

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, please copy good posts over to the new board where they will receive plenty of attention!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post