Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    looking for all Martian Stories by Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for all Martian Stories by Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all

I have owned the Martian Chronicles for a long time; it's one of my favourite books. I know there must be more Martian short stories written by Bradbury, but unfortunately I can't find a list summing up all his Mars stories anywhere. The list I compiled myself is rather short and I have a feeling there should be much more. Can anybody please help me?

This is my list:

Martian Chronicles:
Rocket Summer
Ylla
The Summer Night
The Earth Men
The Third Expedition
And the Moon Be Still as Bright
The Green Morning
The Locusts
Night Meeting
The Musicians
Way in the Middle of the Air
The Naming of Names
Usher II
The Martian
The Luggage Store
The Off Season
The Silent Towns
The Long Years
There Will Come Soft Rains
The Million-Year Picnic

Long After Midnight:

-The Blue Bottle
-The Messiah (?) * I am not sure of this title in English, I have the story in Dutch. In Dutch its title is �De Messias� dealing w/ a priest on Mars who thinks he has met the Messiah until it turns out it�s a Martian manipulated by the priest�s thoughts.
-Forever and the Earth

The Illustrated Man:

-The Exiles
-The Fire Balloons
-The Other Foot

I Sing the Body Electric:

-Night Call, Collect
-Lost City of Mars

A Medicine for Melancholy:

-Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed

By the way, I would also like to know what Venus-stories he wrote. I remember reading just one about children who waited all year to see the sun, cos on Venus it would only shine for one day, and one kid who was bullied and got locked up in a closet missed the whole spectacle. Anyone?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Offhand, I can think of two Venutian stories. The one you refer to is "All Summer in a Day" and the only other one I know of is "The Long Rain".

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help you now, but am in process of classifying his stories, and thanks, your list will make my job easier. All the Martian stories will appear under the "Science Fiction" header, but not all stories under "Science Fiction" will be Martian stories. Some, such as "There Will Come Soft Rains," are under other headers. Although it appeared in "The Martian Chronicles," it is really a nuclear holocaust story set on earth and is classed as such.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanx for the response!

i will check out your list, dandelion, and see what stories there are under sf and try to find those, and then see what mars/venus stories there are. Shouldn't be a problem to go through the stories. i love all of bradbury's work anyway

kind of off-topic, but does anybody know of a new movie about The Martian Chronicles coming out in 2003? Some friend told me about it but there is no news on the Internet...

posted Hide Post
What about "The Cement Mixer"? It doesn't take place on Mars, but does involve a visiting delegation of Martians on Earth. I'd count that as a Martian story. I forget now which collection it's in.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Illustrated Man. The story does switch somewhat back and forth (at least in references) until the ill-fated "invasion" finally occurs on earth.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Mars invasion story from The Illustrated Man is "Zero Hour," a frightening little piece. The Martians begin to make their appearance at the conclusion as "tall, blue shadows." However, I wouldn't technically count this one as one of the Martian stories.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget "The Love Affair."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, my list of story titles is beginning to look quite impressive!~ I will definitely check out all the stories suggested here