Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for a story title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a story title
 Login/Join

posted
I am searching for my favorite Ray Bradbury story. It's about a society that does not encourage intelligence. Do you know the name of the story? Please help.

Posts: 5 | Location: Burlington, NC, USA | Registered: 01 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit 451? Am I missing something?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is. I saw it on the Ray Bradbury Theatre (caught the last 15 minutes of it). I also read this particular story years ago. I am not a expert on Ray Bradbury but have become a fan of late, that's why I am asking for your help.

Posts: 5 | Location: Burlington, NC, USA | Registered: 01 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other thing: The family had two children and they encouraged them to read only comics and watch cartoons. At a certain age, the oldest child, who was inquisitive and smart, was sent to take a test. The test would decide if he lived or died. The last scene in the show was the mother answering the phone and a voice asking her where she wanted the body sent. Does that help any?

posted Hide Post
Yes, that is "Examination Day," by Henry Slesar. It was not on "Ray Bradbury Theater," but on "The New Twilight Zone." For some reason it is right up there with Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" on the list of stories Ray is constantly accused of having written.

(RATS--unless I just IMAGINED this thread existed, there has been yet another mysterious disappearance. I was sure I had a list of "Stories Falsely Attributed to Ray," and was going to bump it up, but it doesn't show up after searching several authors and titles definitely on it. Luckily the list still exists--"elsewhere"--ssshhh, don't want "Hal" to hear--so I can reconstruct it--as far as it got--still needs updating--and post it here.)

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 09-04-2004).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I am glad to know that I didn't imagine that show or story!

posted Hide Post
Hal can ready your lips...
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post