Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Please help me make an important decision
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me make an important decision
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The photos Ray was sent of the area selected for the filming were perfect, he said. Just like Green Town looked like in the 30s.

But doesn't eastern Europe of the 2010s look like America of the 1930s normally?! Big Grin

I apologise to all our eastern European friends for that rather boorish and stereotypical comment.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug hasn't heard of reinforced concrete, the preferred architectural material of choice in the former Soviet bloc...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, so many great comments, and lots of things to think about!

I just got Switch On The Night in the mail (it took a while) and read it, just to be sure that it would be good for the child I'm giving it to. What a wonderful story. The illustrations are also very good and they fit in with the story perfectly (they're a bit to surreal for my taste, but I'm a grown-up in a grown-up world).

Like most good childrens books, it has one meaning on the surface, and another meaning if you go a little deeper. And the deeper meaning is a great message for both children and adults.

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DavidTVC15, glad you enjoyed the book and that you thought the child in question would enjoy it. It's a heavy responsibility, recommending books for young chidren!

It makes me recall a conversation I overheard between Ray and another gentleman at a book signing many years ago. The gentleman was having Ray sign a copy of SWITCH ON THE NIGHT and commented, "Mr. Bradbury, you should write more children's books." Ray smiled and repled, "All of my books are children's books." And when you think about it, Ray comment was absolutely right. So many of Ray's novels and stories are born from his childhood memories, loves and fears, and he in turn writes for the child in all of us.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Mr. Keane ever read SWITCH ON THE NIGHT? A great cartoon from "The Family Circus", long one of my favorites...

http://www.arcamax.com/thefunn...amilycircus/s-893198

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard, I've always loved Family Circus, and that's a great one.

I'm happy to report that seven year-old Adam really likes the book. I read it to him once, and he recently told me that he read it on his own three times. It's such a wonderful, beautiful feeling when you introduce someone to a great story and hopefully influence him in a small way. He might even show up on this forum in a decade or so!

Now please watch this! Here's another fan of this book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh65T9qrQ9Q

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post