Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ooh, ooh, The Lake! Is it The Lake? Is it? Is it?

(I rarely get these, so I have to leap in enthusiastically on those rare occasions that I DO get it.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To "leap enthusiastically!" Nice. Is that like to "Run laughing!"?

Phil, nope. But, ponder this image:
"A couple of crazy dumb old gooney-bird, drying their bones in the sun."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my first thought was "The Shoreline At Sunset"...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thinking!

I was not familiar with this s.s. until I picked up Stories of RB and settled in for a read. I must admit, however, as I finished I was unsettled...

Your ball, SD!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that one gave me the willies too, Butch!
Well, since it seems nobody is exactly on tenterhooks waiting for me to come up with yet another quote, I may get to it in a day or so...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It was late afternoon already and the sun had started to vanish behind blue hills. A few stars were visible. The odor of water, dust, and distant orange blossoms hung in the warm air."

posted Hide Post
Hmmm...!? Let me see now -

("Blue hills and orange blossoms," you say!)

posted Hide Post
It sounds somewhat "Martian," but I think not!

posted Hide Post
OK. A quote from a few paragraphs prior to the above:
"...watched him go as a small child watches his favorite sand castle eroded and annihilated by the waves of the sea."

posted Hide Post
Nice!

Does anyone use words any better than Ray Bradbury? I mean, he has written 500 short stories, 30 books, and every page seems to possess a brilliance in phrasing and imagery!

Point in case: As I sit typing, these are three "random openings," simply looking onto the exact page selected from Stories of Ray Bradbury ~

pg. 475 "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed"
(IRONIC- See BRII's original passage and my response - per "martian.") Then this jumps from the page,
"...and the wind roaring forlorn and changing through the old peach trees, the violet grass, shaking out green rose petals."

#2 Let's try another.
pg. 660 "The Terrible Conflagration up at the Place"
"Hearing this, the Lordship turned to look at them with his bland and not-unfriendly face, the face of an old hound who has seen many foxes killed and just as many escape, who has run well, and now in late years, paced himself down to a soft, shuffling walk."

pg. 304 "The Great Wide World Over There"
"But Cora was after her. For in that instant she had seen something like a scarecrow, something like a flicker of pure light, something like a brook trout jumping upstream, leap a fence in the yard below. She saw a huge hand wave and birds flush in terror from a crab-apple tree."

I rest my case...for the time being!

posted Hide Post
Braling II,

Sandcastles; at first I thought this was The Lake, but Phil tried that on the previous story. Cellar Dweller, is it our friend Smith from Chrysalis, which can be found in the S is for Space collection?

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huzzah! You've got it!
The quote occurs just before Smith tosses his cigarette and floats into space.

Your turn, greenray!

posted Hide Post
Thanks Cellar Dweller,
Here is my quote;

"The First Rocket arrived from a night sky and landed on the planet Mars. There was a great gasping sound as its machines drank of the cool air."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God, I love his writing!

posted Hide Post
I'm still amazed this topic isn't more popular.

A site devoted to the appreciation of a wonderful writer, and such a tiny percentage of posts are about his writing!