Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Tarkas:
Confirmed greenray! Your turn.

I have the same edition. PS Publishing will shortly be releasing illustrated editions of LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT and THE MACHINERIES OF JOY.

The Machineries of Joy will also have the original Dinosaur/Gear cover! That to me is worth the price alone.

If you missed my quote before the page jump, here it is again;

"It was such a machine that even in the dark you felt it alive and full of its own dream behind the doors, oiled and ready, filled with tremors of dark earth and suggestions of summer lightning."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
greenray,
Must confess I'd still like to play.
Can you please drop a clue? Thank you.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother, here is a clue for you all;

Only a handful of people can possibly answer this question now. In a few weeks, hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Bradbury faithful will be able to name this short story.

posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm going to take a wild guess, based on greenray's clue. To make this more fun, I'll explain my thinking:

greenray says that only a handful of us can answer the question now. My guess is that this means that it's a story that's previously unpublished, but that will appear soon.

So, casting around a bit, the only book with new stories that is due to appear soon is the Definitive Edition of the Martian Chronicles from Subterranean.

Then, looking at the table of contents, I eliminated the stories I've read, and then looked at the remaining titles, and tried to guess at a story title that might feature a machine as described in the quote.

So my one in a million guess is "The Wheel".

Give me A for effort, at least!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
Okay, I'm going to take a wild guess, based on greenray's clue. To make this more fun, I'll explain my thinking:

greenray says that only a handful of us can answer the question now. My guess is that this means that it's a story that's previously unpublished, but that will appear soon.

You are correct in your thinking, being that it is a short story, unpublished, but will appear very soon.

So, casting around a bit, the only book with new stories that is due to appear soon is the Definitive Edition of the Martian Chronicles from Subterranean.

In reality douglasSP, another edition, which includes some short stories, is due to appear, probably in the next few weeks.

Then, looking at the table of contents, I eliminated the stories I've read, and then looked at the remaining titles, and tried to guess at a story title that might feature a machine as described in the quote.

I'm sorry, the short story quote is not from the Martian Chronicles Definitive Edition, which I cannot afford. (That should be a good clue, also.)

So my one in a million guess is "The Wheel".

Give me A for effort, at least!

Being that I am an educator, you get an A for effort. Try again, I'll give you an A+, and maybe extra recess!

posted Hide Post
Oh, no - more homework!

I was aware of one or two Bradbury titles coming out soon, but for one reason or another I considered them eliminated.

Will have to dig deeper ... it'll still be a flyer, though, since it seems to be something I haven't read.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was aware of one or two Bradbury titles coming out soon, but for one reason or another I considered them eliminated.

Bullet Trick.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also the short story "Where Everything Ends" to be included in the mystery novels omnibus by Subterranean Press. Possibly too is a story in the first volume of the Collected Short Stories.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Bullet Trick.

Dear Doug,

You have at least narrowed down the title of the book from which this short story comes, "Bullet Trick." However, not the title of the short story. For those who may be lucky enough to have an advance copy, start reading.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
"Bullet Trick." However, not the title of the short story.

I know. I was just offering an additional clue.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, where are you? It has been some months since you have come out of the box in the cellar. We really do miss you. You used to be an active member of this discussion. Don't forget to write.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, greenray.
I've been busier than a tail-gater's brake pedal!
I sang in 5 concerts in a row, plus rehearsals, of course.
Sang in another last Sunday; aside from working days and playing music on many of the nights I'm not singing or rehearsing!
Today, I'm home getting over a gastrointestinal sickness and checking in with my Bradburyophile acquaintances.

Now let's see if there's anything else I need comment on here....

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to hear from you again box boy! My daughter sings in a master chorale group, while also leading a children's choir. Glad you are feeling better, and it was great to hear from you! Keep up the good work.

As for the rest of you, read Bullet Trick, and the quote turn will be yours!

posted Hide Post
Hallowe'en concert tonight!
We're singing Jabberwocky.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been almost a month, and no attempts to answer my quote. Some of you should be receiving Bullet Trick soon. When you do, read on!