Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I'm still amazed this topic isn't more popular.

A site devoted to the appreciation of a wonderful writer, and such a tiny percentage of posts are about his writing!

Dear Box Boy,

I totally agree. If all stays silent, I'll have to post a clue, as I have in the past. This is one of my favorite topics, also. Why don't you give it a try?

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
greenray: from "Fly Away Home" in WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS.
Kind of Twilight Zoneish. I believe he wrote it before that seires. Warm ending, maybe NASA will take a clue.
Okay, this one may be easy, but I love it.
"He did not shut his eyes, but lapsed into a kind of dreaming that was almost itnraembryonic in lassitude and drowsy vividness."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Brother,

You are correct, and that makes this story an instant classic! Braling II, have you bought this collection yet?
Brother, it is your turn! Congratulations on staying up to date with Ray's latest release!

posted Hide Post
Thank you greenray.
Here is the quote offered:

"He did not shut his eyes, but lapsed into a kind of dreaming that was almost intraembryonic in lassitude and drowsy vividness."

Sorry I misspelled intraembryonic last post.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet (alas!) to purchase many of his more recent books, largely due to the cost, I'm afraid.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,

We'll Always Have Paris, Ray's latest, is only $11.94 on Amazon.com. You don't even have to get out of your box to order it. However, you will need to get up to go to your mailbox. Sadly, my local Borders and Barnes and Noble stores did not have Paris in stock when it came out. So, I ordered it from Amazon.com for about half of what it would be in the stores. Hope this helps you!

posted Hide Post
Well, here is a clue for the quote offered:
The original title for the story resonates with one of EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS classic novels. Good luck!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Braling II,

We'll Always Have Paris, Ray's latest, is only $11.94 on Amazon.com. You don't even have to get out of your box to order it. However, you will need to get up to go to your mailbox. Sadly, my local Borders and Barnes and Noble stores did not have Paris in stock when it came out. So, I ordered it from Amazon.com for about half of what it would be in the stores. Hope this helps you!

I guess I am lucky to have a Science Fiction specialty bookshop two blocks from my home. (ducking)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother,

Will any of these be a clue of your clue? I only took the Mars novels of ERB.

A Princess of Mars
The Gods of Mars
The Warlord of Mars
Thuvia, Maid of Mars
The Chessmen of Mars
The Master Mind of Mars
A Fighting Man of Mars
Swords of Mars
Synthetic Men of Mars
Llana of Gathol
John Carter of Mars

posted Hide Post
greenray: Sorry none of the John Carter of Mars novels are similar in title to the original title of the Bradbury story in question.
However, there is a battle scene in this story which is reminiscent of the kind Burroughs wrote. Also, the name of the enemy the main character battles is an anagram of 'John'.

posted Hide Post
Brother,

This may be a stretch, however, it is worth a try. To the Chicago Abyss/Out of Time's Abyss?

posted Hide Post
greenray,
Not there yet. However, Out of Time's Abyss is considered part three of this Burroughs title.

posted Hide Post
It's only part Bradbury, but could it be Lorelei of the Red Mist?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I have it. It's from "Frost and Fire", of course, which was originally titled "The Creatures That Time Forgot" which is reminiscent of Burroughs's The Land That Time Forgot.

That happens to be my favorite Bradbury story, though I would never have nailed it without the clue.

I agree with Braling II - it's been a disappointment to me how little discussion there is on this board about Ray's actual stories. Unfortunately I'm not all that good at this sort of game, but it should be more popular.

By the way, I've read Ray's last three "normal" collections so far this year, so I'm more or less up to date.

I also received a slipcase for my numbered edition of Dark Carnival (2001)yesterday, after owning the actual book for six or seven years. Thanks to Barry of Gauntlet Press!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
I agree with Braling II - it's been a disappointment to me how little discussion there is on this board about Ray's actual stories. Unfortunately I'm not all that good at this sort of game, but it should be more popular.

Thanks - I think so. Braling and I sit out sometimes so we won't be the only two playing, but I enjoy watching others play.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post