Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Okay, this isn't a quiz, it's a genuine question. I'm just too embarrassed to start another thread when I'm the one usually answering Bradbury-related questions.

I posted the following on another board:

"The sun is going to explode and we're all doomed" mentioned in a current movie as a childhood fear--definite déjá vu moment from a Ray Bradbury story. I can't say which one, but certainly space related and possibly in "The Martian Chronicles." A character mentions crying as a child when told this. His mother asked him why--they and generations after them will certainly be dead by then. "I'm crying for all those people up ahead," says the boy. "Don't worry about them," says the mother. The boy, now grown, goes on to explain that he now has hope thanks to space exploration of the human race finding a new home long before then.

Someone on that board says this was one of her main childhood fears, she read a lot of Bradbury, does not recognize the story, and wants to find it. I haven't a clue except I'm sure it was a character in a Bradbury story, probably a fairly well-known one, and not a description of something Ray experienced as a child, and I could be mistaken even about that. Thanks for any help!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

The story in question is "The Strawberry Window" found in the book R IS FOR ROCKET by Ray Bradbury.

Here is a partial quote:

"...do you remember those Sunday-supplement articles, THE EARTH WILL FREEZE IN A MILLION YEARS! I bawled once, as a boy, reading articles like that. My Mother asked why. I'm bawling for all those poor people up ahead, I said. Don't worry about them, Mother said. But, Carrie, that's my whole point; we are worried about them. Or we wouldn't be here. It matters if Man with a capital M keeps going. Ther's nothing better than Man with a capital M in my books. I'm prejudiced, of course, because I'm one of the breed. But if there's any way to get hold of that immortality men are always talking about, this is the way--spread out--seed the universe."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS, LINNL! I should have known a genuine Martian would get it! When I had time for it, I came up with the correct book, and I have a copy, but of course I don't know exactly where! You have come to the rescue!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Holidays, and a clue to solve the puzzle below. This quote comes from the short story that is the prose version of the teleplay "The Jail," which appeared on Alcoa Premiere in 1962.

"It was such a machine that even in the dark you felt it alive and full of its own dream behind the doors, oiled and ready, filled with tremors of dark earth and suggestions of summer lightning."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been too long without even a try for my quote, and I really miss playing myself. I wish to pass, and allow any member to continue. However, I don't wish reveal the answer at this time. Take out those books and read! Carry on, and I look forward to the next quote.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
"It was such a machine that even in the dark you felt it alive and full of its own dream behind the doors, oiled and ready, filled with tremors of dark earth and suggestions of summer lightning."

Hand In Glove.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

What took so long, have you been snowed in at home in Green Town? Either way, congratulations, and do carry on. I look forward to your quote.

posted Hide Post
I'm scatter-brained, feeble-minded, and forgetful. Let's ease back into it with an easy one:

"He lay far across the room from her, on a winter island separated by an empty sea."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She in a drug induced stupor, he guilt-ridden for what lay behind the ventilation cover, with the smell of fresh peaches and strawberries yet wafting though his mind!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
f451

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
f451

Go!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
(DS: Just concluded Montag's odyssey with my Honors class several days back!)

Try this, y'all!
"I'm a billion years old, he told himself; I'm one minute old, I'm one inch, no, ten thousand miles, tall. I look down and can't see my feet they're so far off and gone away below."

posted Hide Post
quote:
(DS: Just concluded Montag's odyssey with my Honors class several days back!)

Cheater! Smiler

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
"I'm a billion years old, he told himself; I'm one minute old, I'm one inch, no, ten thousand miles, tall. I look down and can't see my feet they're so far off and gone away below."

Almost sounds like something out of Green Town, doesn't it?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Right! It's a cross between G.T. and I.M.!