Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Not "The City".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic wrote:
quote:
OK, left's go for something a little bit more obscure. Name this Bradbury story:

"In a brief second they had felt they were falling. They felt themselves hit the floor many times. Then the machine ceased its crazy antics and stopped at the main floor."

Is this from "The Elevator"? Have not read "The Elevator", but see that its in the lettered edition of Gauntlet's The Halloween Tree. Did see the 80's TWILIGHT ZONE episode.

Can we have some other clue?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's not "The Elevator".

Some other clue, eh? I really can't decide whether I should.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any other takers for this one?

quote:
"In a brief second they had felt they were falling. They felt themselves hit the floor many times. Then the machine ceased its crazy antics and stopped at the main floor."

My response to Linnl did, in fact, contain another clue...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Well, still no guesses on where this quote comes from:

Should I give a further clue, or should I not? What a dilemma.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I haven't read the story, but your clues seem to point towards Hollerbochen's Dilemma?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tinkerbell is correct, the answer is "Hollerbochen's Dilemma". It was Bradbury's first ever published story, appearing in a fanzine called Imagination in 1938. It was collected in a science fiction anthology in the 1980s, but hasn't appeared in any of Ray's own short story collections.

Anyone desperate to read the whole story could invest in the complete set of Imagination, which can be had for a knockdown price here.

tinkerbell, it's your turn.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Way to go tinkerbell!

And as I'm sure philnic knows, Hollerbachen's Delimma will be included in the forthcoming VOL. 1 of The collected Stories of Ray Bradbury.
https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...91083901/m/966103281

posted Hide Post
That's a relief, Linnl. $5,000 is a tad out of my price bracket (not to mention the $17.50 shipping fee to the UK).

Right. Here's an easy one, if you know the answer!

'You can't have him, she thought. Whoever or whatever you are, he's mine, and you can't have him.'

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A clue:

'The sun steamed the waters. The ancient pier expanded with a loud groan in the heat. The birds wer held in the hot sky, unable to move. The sun struck through the green liquors that poured about the pier; struck, caught and burnished an idle whiteness that drifted in the offshore ripples.'

posted Hide Post
Another clue as I await delivery of the dreaded New Year haggis:

This is not a story for the men.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
This is not a story for the men.

Well, that limits your participants in this particular round of the game a right smart!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Another clue as I await delivery of the dreaded New Year haggis...

Good luck in catching it; they're fast runners.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
mmmm...I missed this one. Frowner

But I'm going to get an Eskimo pie and feel better.