Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Oooh! Nice writing!
But, yes, I'm afraid most of what I own (and therefore have read) was printed in the 20th Century.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you on the old trail again, BrII!! How goes all?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, pard, got laid off (again) mid-March. Playing music, just finished singing Beethoven's 9th in a 100+ voice choir & 50+ piece orchestra; but sure could use some steady income (& medical insurance!). Livin' on beans is OK for a while on the trail...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang in there, Braling II.

The Name the Ray Bradbury Story line:

"There waited the great pool of grass with its tender heads of clover and its devil weed, with its old acorns hidden, with its ant civilizations."

and the follow-up clue line:

"As the body of a boy on a sweltering July day yearns toward swimming holes, so the feet are drawn to oceans of oak-cooled grass and seas of minted clover and dew."

Not a clue, but crayfish were mentioned a while back Smiler. Artist unknown.

ImageBradburyRx.jpg (287 Kb, 14 downloads) BradburyRx

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I can't find my copy of Medicine for Melancholy. Rats.

posted Hide Post
Well, heck.

"The pompous, nuzzling big white toe, jamming into cool dark earth, the little toes picking at milky-purple clover buds, and now, just standing, the hot feet drowning in cool tides of grass."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still no takers. Confused
I suppose there are too many stickers in the yard.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The pompous, nuzzling big white toe, jamming into cool dark earth, the little toes picking at milky-purple clover buds, and now, just standing, the hot feet drowning in cool tides of grass.

Ah, the thread most often forgotten. Alas - I do not know the answer.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is from "The Waders", a short-short collected in Summer Morning, Summer Night. Currently available in trade paperback.

posted Hide Post
Rats.

posted Hide Post
Have we stopped playing this game? Linnl, carry on, please.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Have we stopped playing this game?...

No, we were just waiting for you to come back!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Ed Chigliak might say...Well alllright!

"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
As Ed Chigliak might say...Well alllright!

"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."

No idea what story it's from, but awesome quote. Is this one special for me? I feel I've been getting a big fat message from the universe lately, and it ain't nice.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No idea what story it's from, but awesome quote. Is this one special for me? I feel I've been getting a big fat message from the universe lately, and it ain't nice.

Strange. Didn't intend it to be. But you know, Ray Bradbury wrote it... so...

Something even as strange (and this may be a clue to the story title) the characters in this story do find a message they take to heart.