Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delayed response (Braling I only just now let me out of the box) but, yes it is from Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Next?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this one;

"They went down the street of the coffin makers. Even this late at night there was a tapping and sawing of wood. Through the door you saw the coffin makers joking at their work."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it could be 'The Next in Line' (???).

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Ozzie,

Sorry, that is not correct. However, geographically speaking, my quote comes from the same region as 'The Next in Line.' Please try again. Loved your character in Death is a Lonely Business, which I just finished reading. Really enjoyed it. Since the main character was another version of Ray, I wonder if there might be a real Crumley out there.

posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be The Halloween Tree, would it?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I'm currently about a quarter way into the 2007 Hardback issue of 'The Halloween Tree,' just as Moundshroud tells the boys to build a kite to save Pipkin. Didn't know that HT ends up south of the border, I'll have to read to find out. Either way, it is not 'The Halloween Tree.'

posted Hide Post
quote:
"They went down the street of the coffin makers. Even this late at night there was a tapping and sawing of wood. Through the door you saw the coffin makers joking at their work."

How about 'And the rock cried out' ?

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again Ozzie. However, the short story is not
'And the rock cried out.' You are closer, geographically speaking, with 'The Next in Line.' Keep trying, and take care.

posted Hide Post
"The Life Work of Juan Diaz"?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brailing II, Hope you are having a good day after your rest in the cellar. It is not 'Juan Diaz.' However, Juan would feel at home in the setting of my quote from one of Ray's mystery short stories.

posted Hide Post
Is it The Candy Skull? Or El Dia de Muerte? (Titles are estimates only, as I don't have the books to hand!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil is the winner! The Candy Skull is my short story selection from 'Memory of Murder.' Phil's web site says that The Candy Skull is exclusive in collected form to 'Memory of Murder,' which is only available in paperback. You can pick it up used at a reasonable price from the usual sources. The collection has a beautiful cover. The Candy Skull has many similarities to The Next in Line.
Phil, your turn! Again, a zillion thanks for your web site.

posted Hide Post
OK, name the story. And for a bonus point, what is being described here:

"...the howl of moon-dreamed dogs, the seep of river-cold winds through January porch screens which stopped the blood, a thousand fire sirens weeping, or worse!"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Phil is the winner! The Candy Skull is my short story selection from 'Memory of Murder.'

Blast! And I just had RB sign that book. I just haven't read it yet.

In it he wrote "Love + Hate", then autographed it. He said these stories helped him in his early career, but he dislikes them now, and only allowed the collection if it were a paperback, and no reprints.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the interview with the widow of Carl Sagan in the "Space" episode http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2006/05/12 and guess which Bradbury story comes to mind!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post