Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
He puffed and chewed on his cigar and stared blindly at his cards. "Sorry." He blinked rapidly and bit his cigar.
OK, this is a bit of an educated guess at Brailing II's quote (I say 'guess' because it's a story I know of but haven't read):
Is it 'Hail To The Chief' ?

IF I'm correct, I'll offer this quote as the next in 'name the story'
(I don't have much of a chance in this game if I wait to see if I'm right - Northern/Southern hemisphere time difference!):

The sun struck his eyes a blow. Never, never so much sun!

Any takers? (this one's not TOO hard)

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz, Sorry, that isn't correct.
(And no fair posting a quote out of turn!)

Now, should I offer a hint?

OK, inspired by the above OC/DC discussion, it's from one of the stories in "The October Country".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Watchful Pokerchip of..."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I've got it!
It's 'The Wind'.
Apologies for 'posting out of turn' (as I said, it was only because of the time difference). My quote (above) also derived from the DC/OC discussion.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
According to a June 2002 post by Nard, The movie, "It Came From Outer Space" is loosely based on the unpublished and uncollected Bradbury story, "The Meteor." The story was written in 1953.

Update; According to the Gauntlet Special Edition of the same name, It Came From Outer Space, was inspired by the short story, "A Matter of Taste." The story, besides being in ICFOS, can also be found in The Cat's Pajama's collection.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GRay, you are correct, sir! "The Wind" it is!
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been dealing with (to understate) adversities the last several days...
Probably won't be able to get to your quote for awhile...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
GRay, you are correct, sir! "The Wind" it is!

Braling II, actually it is oz-crumley who answered correctly. Wizard of Oz, your quote...

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops! My error. I did tell you I've been under stress lately.
Anyway, over to you, Oz!

posted Hide Post
Same quote as above:

The sun struck his eyes a blow. Never, never so much sun!

(relatively easy!)

posted Hide Post
Ozzie crumbly person,
Give us a clue. My books are awash from the floodwaters here. Even my mouse wears a life-jacket. Is it "All in a summer's day"?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not ALL SUMMER (but a good guess).
Here is another quote from the same story:

He tossed his books straight up in the air. They exploded like a great burst of doves, whistling.

... and another:

Here Picasso ladies and Dali gentlemen screamed silently from canvas asylums, their gold eyes burning when he dawdled.

posted Hide Post
"Jack-In-The-Box"?

posted Hide Post
That's it!

This is an amazing story (among the best of the early 'dark' tales, I think) - an incredilbly simple yet original premise, beautifully executed. I love imagining the enormous house, its myriad of corridors, staircases, passages & rooms. And what a powerful, liberating (but disturbing) ending! Superb.

Over to you, B.II.

posted Hide Post
And when they blew again upon their golden horns the strange music came forth and passed slowly over the audience, which now talked and stood up.
"What's wrong with you?" the musicians asked each other.
"What tune is that you played?"
"What tune did you play?"

(By the way, Oz, I'm in the middle of Bryson's "In A Sunburned Country" and gaining a new appreciation for Australia!)

posted Hide Post
Come on B-II, too easy!
That's 'The Summer Night' from MARTIAN CHRONICLES.

Try this:

I moved through the dreaming late afternoon town, utterly anonymous and alone, a trout going upstream, not touching the banks of a clear-running river of life that drifted all about me.