Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with you.This story is something interesting but the message is something confusing.

(Another spam signature removed. The next one I see gets the whole message deleted without warning - Phil)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 1 | Location: 8410 Idlewood Ct, Bradenton, FL 34202 | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linnl, thank you for your contribution. This is going to be great!

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
greenray, you are welcome.

Original quote: "God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival. her soul stayed lit."

Another: "Our lips moved at last, saying the words soundlessly."

Good luck all.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."

I like it. I think I'll use it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."

One Night In Your Life?

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
One Night In Your Life?

Nice guess dragonfly, but this story's title is still in the wire fence.

Where is Braling II? You know this story. Hope you are well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

posted Hide Post
quote:
She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."

Linnl!
Long time, no post!

I'm still at large.
Been in the box in that damp cellar for a while, though.

Is it "Somewhere a Band is Playing" perhaps?

(Missed the "wire fence" allusion...)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Is it "Somewhere a Band is Playing" perhaps?

Braling II! Hope you are keeping well oiled and convincing as ever!

This story is not "Somewhere a Band is Playing."

Here is a final line clue: "My brother didn't hit me, I didn't hit my brother, carefully, secretly, until just before noon when we got out to water the flowers by the side of the road."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a final line clue: "My brother didn't hit me, I didn't hit my brother, carefully, secretly, until just before noon when we got out to water the flowers by the side of the road."

I read this recently! But I disremember the title.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here!
The "hitting my brother" especially.

Rats.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The title of this story seems to have flown the coop!

I seem to remember Bradbury saying all his books or stories are autobiographical, this one seems especially so. Wonderful writing.

Incidentally, this story is known by two different titles, one more so than the other. So you can either go to court over it, or leave your keys at the desk, check out, and hit the road Jack. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Now I remember when and where I read it! It was to Ray a few months ago. I was visiting, and he asked me to read the table of contents of a book. I did, and he asked for me to read The Inspired Chicken Motel for him. I did read.

It was also one of my favourites - eggcellent!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Cool & Right! Also known as The Inspired Chicken Bungalow Court.

The message on the egg: Rest In Peace. Prosperity Is Near. I'm aware that people in the 30s and 40s used the word prosperity in a more inclusive fashion than nowadays, although I'm not sure one necessarily gets that from this story. And having seen many a family passing through, the lady who runs the motel seems to be some silent facilitator/sage or augur. The sensitivity the narrator gains for the father is lovely.

Your turn Douglas!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Your turn Douglas!

"He listened to the dry-grass rustle of the old witches' voices beneath his open window."

"Live Forever!"