Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I would play this game more often, but I have a terrible memory for the minutiae of a story...as evidenced by my most recent guess, above!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
douglasSP, You got it of course. Congradulations.
The quote is from Part V of "Frost and Fire", Sim has entered a learning chamber and The Time of Talking: "The dialogue crackled, filled the room. Swift as heartbeats, one thousand, two thousand words a minute. Sim, learned, his head filled. He did not shut his eyes, but lapsed into a kind of dreamiing that was almost intaembryonic in lassitude and drowsy vividness. In the faint background the words were spoken, and they wove a tapestry of knowledge in his head."
Wonderful writing!
Its your turn douglasSP. Thanks.

PS: to philnic. Love your Bradbury website. Learned about Bradbury 13 and was able to (rather inexpensively) track down all tapes through various bookshops on alibris. Thank You!
Have not read "Lorelei of the Red Mist".

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here goes. I've chosen a fairly out-of-the-way story:

“And they came to a forest that had been like November all through the winter and now, reluctantly, was putting out green flags to welcome the season. Butterflies in great tosses of confetti leaped from the deeps of the forest to ramble drunkenly on the air, their thousand torn shadows following over grass and water.”

Two very slight clues:

1. This is one of Bradbury's bittersweet meditations on the way we allow our dreams to end up in the garbage bin.

2. I haven't checked, but I believe there may be a very easy way to cheat on this one!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield? There is a very brief homage to The Beast. Reflect on it. (that is a hint)

I just watched it - finally. Now tell me where to look for the thingy before I return it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield? There is a very brief homage to The Beast. Reflect on it. (that is a hint)

I just watched it - finally. Now tell me where to look for the thingy before I return it.

Let me think...oh yes...reflected in a car window (or was it rearview mirror) you will see The Harryhausen Fog Horn Beast...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still no takers for the story quote? Not even a wild guess?

Let me remind you what I said above. There's a really easy way to cheat on the quote.

Which means that the answer must be ... where, do you think?

Oh come on,guys!

If still no guesses, I'll post another clue this time tomorrow.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know, but want others to play.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got it, too, but I've already been rapped over the knuckles once for cheating.

Must be one of your favourite passages?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not really one of my favourite passages - just one that I'd read at the right time. I loved the theme of the story, which reminded me of "The Pumpernickel", probably my favorite Bradbury story in its weight division (about four pages).

posted Hide Post
Well, it seems we are divided between those who know all and those who know nothing!

As promised, another clue:

The story is the final one in a Bradbury collection (not counting afterwords, of course!).

posted Hide Post
Hi douglasSP,
That final clue did it: "The Other Highway" from QUICKER THAN THE EYE. The clue kind of gives it away. I like the quote.

A story that reminds us "Don't rush or you'll break an axle."

I remember Ray Bradbury promoting this title on THE LATE, LATE SHOW.

I miss Tom Snyder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it certainly used to be one of your "Favorite Passages", douglas SP!

~ tink

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Brother Tarkas has nailed it, and the torch passes right back to him for the next mystery quote!

Interestingly, BT does not seem to have used the easy cheat which I hinted at ever so unsubtly, and which tinkerbell and Doug S seem to have tumbled onto right away.

So what was the cheat? The answer was on this board! If you used the search function, you'd find it under a seven year old post by yours truly. To search for an entire quote, you simply search by entering a distinctive word - in this case, "confetti" works just fine! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Well, here is the new quote:

"Maybe he would plow into the waves and let them churn him,
as a washing machine churns a dark rag, and let it spit him out
on the sand, gasping to dry and bake in the sun until he lay there
like the thin skeleton of some old beast, chalk-white and fresh
and clean."

Clue: a metamorphosis occurs, but its one of self-acceptance.
Good luck!

posted Hide Post
I would like to announce that I've got the answer, but like some of our champion players, I'll hold off until everybody else has had a chance.

Not many Bradbury stories have images of waves or the sea. My first thought was that it might be "And the Sailor, Home from the Sea", and afterwards I thought of "The Lake", but it's neither of those! Smiler