Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
No, it's not SOMETHING WICKED, but you're not too far off .... And no, it isn't 'Black Ferris'.
Another clue: it's from a relatively recent story collection (ie. not one of the classic collections like ILL.MAN or GOLDEN APPLES).

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd revive this fun thread (if anyone's interested, that is). See p. 6 for the two quotes from this story.
And another clue: the story is from the late 1980s.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

Is the story from The Toynbee Convector?

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry - forgot about the thread buried herein.

Couldn't be The Last Circus, could it?

Ray signed my Toynbee Convector Friday night at the play, by the way.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'The Last Circus' it is!

posted Hide Post
Alright, then:

"A little girl raised her hand, "What's necromancy?"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Ray signed my Toynbee Convector Friday night at the play, by the way.

The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair is my favorite story from that anthology.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
"A little girl raised her hand, "What's necromancy?"

Alright then, this one's a bit too difficult, so we'll try an easier one:

"Night came out from under each tree and spread."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sorry, Dougster. I completely forgot about this topic. "Let's Play Poison", to answer the previous quiz.

This new one reminds me of several stories ...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"Let's Play Poison", to answer the previous quiz.

Correct.

And the easier one was The Halloween Tree, of course.

Your turn.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
No real poser here, but some damn fine writing:

They swung in and sat upon the sill, same size, same weight, colored same by the stars, and sat embraced once more with grand fine exhaustion, gasping on huge ingulped laughs which swept their bones together, and for fear of waking God, country, wife, Mom, and hell, they snug-clapped hands to each other's mouths, felt the vibrant warm hilarity fountained there, and sat one instant longer, eyes bright with each other and wet with love.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Cellar Dweller,

"Something Wicked This Way Comes?"

Please confirm or deny. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
greenray: I'd say Not! But it is a marvelous piece of writing.

Probably not this guess, but: The Happiness Machine? The line "...sat upon the sill, same size, same weight, colored by the stars..." throws me.

Otherwise, I give up Braling II, sir!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
greenray: I'd say Not!

I think greenray may be right! Perhaps a scene between Will and Dad?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug and Nard,

Gentlemen, thanks for your comments. My copy of Something Wicked has the following passage in the third to the last paragraph of Chapter 28, Knopf edition, page 146 for those keeping score;

"Will opened his eyes and climbed and the rest was smooth, high, higher, fine, sweet wondrous, done!They swung in and sat upon the sill, same size, same weight, colored same by the stars, and sat embraced once more with grand fine exhaustion, gasping on huge ingulped laughs which swept their bones together, and for fear of waking God, country, wife, Mom, and hell, they snug-clapped hands to each other's mouths, felt the vibrant warm hilarity fountained there, and sat one instant longer, eyes bright with each other and wet with love."

It appears this again is from SWTWC, but will wait for final confirmation from that guy in the box in the cellar.