Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
greenray, its not a time-travel story.

You could call it a "close-encounter" story!

Good luck all!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For any still wanting to play, here is another line from the same story:

"His shaking hands went wildly up to touch his coppery hair as if he'd never seen or felt of it before."

Have fun!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Brother,

Another clue please, if possible. Yes, many of us still want to play. This is my favorite part of this board. I really appreciate the challenging selections, such as yours.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well great!

Another clue: This isn't a martian tale, but it has something in common (a Bradbury motif perhaps) with the stories "The Messiah" and "The Martian".

And another line: "A star blinked on the summer sky and vanished."

Good luck!

posted Hide Post
Dear Brother,

How about "The Man." (At least it begins with an M.) Thanks again for all the clues.

posted Hide Post
Hi greenray!

Its not "The Man". Like a character in "The Messiah" and "The Martian", a being in this story becomes a 'someone' or 'something' according to the thoughts or emotions of the person most near it.

Final clue: the hero/student escapes!

Will give title in a couple of days.

Good Luck again!

posted Hide Post
I cheated, too. I'm soooooo baaaaad ... Smiler

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased the PS Publishing Edition of "The Day It Rained Forever." On page 77, the last line of the story, The Referent, is the quote from Brother Tarkas. (This edition has a great photo of Roby and the Sandman. A beautiful book, highly recommended and illustrated.) Brother, please confirm.

posted Hide Post
Confirmed greenray! Your turn.

I have the same edition. PS Publishing will shortly be releasing illustrated editions of LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT and THE MACHINERIES OF JOY.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
I cheated, too. I'm soooooo baaaaad ... Smiler

Hey, douglasSP!
High five! Let's keep this show on the road.

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not with my time. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Tarkas:
Not with my time. Sorry.

Ouch!

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that "Referent" is one of the few early stories (before 1960) that appeared in only one collection, and never again. It missed the cut for both 100 story super-collections, and of course it wasn't in A Medicine for Melancholy.

Robert, thanks for the high five. It's greenray's turn, though.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, douglas. I was being irreverent, if not Irreferent.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the past quote challenge, Brother. Now here we go;

"It was such a machine that even in the dark you felt it alive and full of its own dream behind the doors, oiled and ready, filled with tremors of dark earth and suggestions of summer lightning."