Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I can, but I don't want the responsibility of coming up with the next quotation!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, all right.
"And So Died Riabouchinska"!

OK. Try this:

"Show me the crayfish and the butterflies," she said.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

Awww... that's a sweet story.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II replied:
quote:
Oh, all right.
"And So Died Riabouchinska"!

Right, of course! And the alternate title is "The Golden Box" as it appeared in The Saint Detective Magazine(U.K.)March, 1957 (info. found in Ray Bradbury The Life of Fiction by Eller and Touponce.) What is fascinating is the psychological take Bradbury makes in having a murderer's conscience confess for him through such utter and obsessive immersion in his art. Nothing supernatural about it.

It is Braling II's turn and he wrote
quote:
OK. Try this:

Cool

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very sweet story indeed.
So Doug, did you Google the quote or remember it? Care to give the title?

By the way inspired by "Ria", I've begun re-reading "Machineries of Joy". God! What great writing! I've read the stories through "Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms..." and am newly amazed...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very sweet story indeed.
So Doug, did you Google the quote or remember it? Care to give the title?

Very well. I'll give it:

I'll Never Forget You. I just read it recently, actually. Who could forget crayfish?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's "A Story of Love" (in "Long After Midnight"). Two titles for the same story, perhaps?

posted Hide Post
quote:
...Two titles for the same story, perhaps?

Correct. Although two different-lengthed versions exist, but I can't remember whether this correlates with the two different titles.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, same story. I didn't read it from LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT recently. I disremember where. Perhaps a reprint from the magazine it was originally published in.

"The men of earth came to Mars."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I hear there's work available in the sky. Doug Spalding's Name this Ray Bradbury Story Line:
quote:
"The men of earth came to Mars."

From the bridge short short story "The Settlers".

Mars. Speaking of which, Colonial Radio Theatre has audio clips of their forthcoming release of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

http://www.colonialradio.com/HTML/whatsnew.html

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
From the bridge short short story "The Settlers".

Correct.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
From another, and lovely short:

"There waited the great pool of grass with its tender heads of clover and its devil weed, with its old acorns hidden, with its ant civilizations."

posted Hide Post
Nobody's biting.
Another clew, mayhaps?

posted Hide Post
Apologies, Braling II, if this short-short story is from a (recent) collection you have not read yet:

"As the body of a boy on a sweltering July day yearns toward swimming holes, so the feet are drawn to oceans of oak-cooled grass and seas of minted clover and dew."