Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
I'm going to get an Eskimo pie and feel better.

Made from real Eskimos?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Made from real Eskimos?!

A KLONDIKE, chocolate one, through and through. The women prefer that. And a (diet)coke. Big Grin

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linnl. Were you being subtle or did you accidentally mention "The Women"? That's the correct answer!
Your turn.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Another clue as I await delivery of the dreaded New Year haggis...

Good luck in catching it; they're fast runners.

Aye, but the wee beasties cannae run so fast in the snow.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
originally posted by tinkerbell
quote:
Were you being subtle or did you accidentally mention "The Women"?

Um, not so subtle. Good story choice.

Well, here is the next line:

"And in an easy chair across the room would sit a Salt White Oblong seated with a copy of Nietzche open, reading, smoking a pipe."

The story is known by two different titles, so feel free to post either or both if you know them. My first reading of it was in a book edited by Damon Knight purchased at a library book sale.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A clue:

"Click."

Imageshape1.jpg (139 Kb, 7 downloads) shape1

posted Hide Post
And the back cover(note the guarantee). Cover painting "Perfect Sunset", by Eugene Berman:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Imageshape2.jpg (126 Kb, 10 downloads) shape2

posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Tomorrow's Child is wont to shout something like "Wheely!".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wheely!!! By Euclid, Braling II, you got it! Your turn.

The fears and anxieties of parenthood are surely "other dimensional", nevertheless, Peter and Polly Horn commit to bringing the human dimension to their child, Py.

"The Shape of Things" is the originally published title of "Tomorrow's Child", and the so named title of Damon Knight's anthology. In the intro to the story, Mr. Knight wrote, "I well remember my own popeyed admiration when I read [Bradbury's] story about a woman who gave birth to a small blue pyramid; this is exactly the sort of thing that might occur to any imaginative writer in a manic or drunken moment; but Bradbury wrote it and sold it."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

posted Hide Post
OK, here goes...

He relaxed. He felt his body become wonderfully cool and then wonderfully warm. He knew he was dropping down a long slide of stars into a darkness as delightful as wine.

There's more, of course, but isn't this just great writing?!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, BII, I just pasted the quote into a certain well known search engine and found the answer in a trice. Too easy! But I'll leave it for others to try.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
There's more, of course, but isn't this just great writing?!

Wonderful! Mr Braling, I passed through Santa Cruz yesterday.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me know next time!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Let me know next time!

Oh, I would have loved to have met you, but I didn't know myself until that morning, and there was no way to reach you on short notice.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I didn't know myself until that morning...

"Know thyself!"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post