Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Hello?

I see what you mean.

Actually, I don't know this one.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe I overestimated how much those who like to visit here, talk about Mr. B, buy his books, and post somewhat Bradburian items actually enjoy reading his stories!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not that, BII, it's just that the lines you posted don't ring any bells!

But to keep the thread alive, I will guess "There Was An Old Woman".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close, but no toffee apple.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close, eh? Then perhaps it's "Death and the Maiden".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I guess the only thing about your guesses that I'd call close is the fact that someone is on the other side of a door from another.
Thanks, though for guessing!
I'll provide another clue, if necessary...

posted Hide Post
More clue, please.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
OK.

"He thought of the nights he had flinched in bed, thinking he heard her quietly pulling out the nails, pulling out the nails, touching at the bolts and slithering the latch..."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

posted Hide Post
Awfully quiet over here.
Did that second quote help?

posted Hide Post
The second quote is a real stumper! It's not "Gotcha!" is it? Surely not.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Nope.
The second quote occurs almost immediately after the first, if that helps!
I really didn't think I'd stump anyone with this!
Quite fun, really!

posted Hide Post
Here is a nearly a whole paragraph, omitting only the first sentence and a character's name)...

"...He heard [her] unlock her door and shut it and move delicately about her room with little tinkles of chinaware and chimes of cutlery, turning in a merry-go-round to make her dinner.
He backed away from that door that was bolted, locked, latched, and driven shut with its four-inch hard steel nails. He thought of the nights he had flinched in bed, thinking he heard her quietly pulling out the nails, pulling out the nails, touching at the bolts and slithering the latch...And how it always took him an hour to turn away toward sleep after that."

This is a bittersweet tale, from the '50s, I'm fairly sure.

posted Hide Post
Is anybody there?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anybody there?

Present!

But I still don't know.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anybody there?

Knock once for yes...

Yes, I'm still here. But in the words of Jack Benny, "..............I'm thinking about it!"

- Phil