Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
greenray is correct! Your turn!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield?

I saw the film in the cinema, and was conscious of a vague resemblance to "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" (and, therefore, "The Fog Horn"). I don't recall a specific Bradbury reference, but did the critter destroy a lighthouse or a rollercoaster somewhere in amongst the camera shakes?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield?

I saw the film in the cinema, and was conscious of a vague resemblance to "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" (and, therefore, "The Fog Horn"). I don't recall a specific Bradbury reference, but did the critter destroy a lighthouse or a rollercoaster somewhere in amongst the camera shakes?

There is a very brief homage to The Beast. Reflect on it. (that is a hint)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's try this one;

"It was a rocky old house. There were echoes and dust and spiders in it. And cockroaches came out to feel about on the kitchen linoleum."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose it might be From the Dust Returned - it featured such a house.

But it also reminds me of a fine house which I saw last night on the telly. Perhaps my favourite episode of Ray Bradbury Theatre, Usher II with the wonderful Patrick McNee - Steed!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Doug,

I'm sorry, it is neither a quote from Usher II, nor From the Dust Returned.

Strange Clue #1: Doug, you do not have this short story, but you will by the time it is correctly answered!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Strange Clue #1: Doug, you do not have this short story, but you will by the time it is correctly answered!

Strange clue indeed! I'm intrigued.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange Clue 2: The name of this short story is the same as the collection it comes from.

"It was a rocky old house. There were echoes and dust and spiders in it. And cockroaches came out to feel about on the kitchen linoleum."

posted Hide Post
Sounds like something from the Halloween Tree, Moundshroud's house?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't be- I already have that one, and greenray has cryptically announced that I don't have the volume in question!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Patrask,

The Halloween Tree is not a short story collection. At this time Douglas does not have this short story, or the collection from which it comes, but he soon will.

Strange Clue 3: The title of both the short story and the collection, which are the same, would fit in well with the Halloween Tree.

Strange Clue 4: With a little detective work, you should be able to answer this without having the actual short story collection.

posted Hide Post
Masks?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Dear Doug,
You are correct! You should have your copy by Halloween, if you ordered it, which I'm sure you did. You'll find the passage on page 31. I was lucky enough to get an early ARC edition. Have not had the time to read it, yet. Time for Doug to note a passage!

posted Hide Post
A little trickeration, eh?

ARC? Advance Reading Copy?

He could not see. But yes, yes, he could, and it was like inside a small dark red cavern, as if his eyes were turned inward upon his skull.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
He could not see. But yes, yes, he could, and it was like inside a small dark red cavern, as if his eyes were turned inward upon his skull.

"Live Forever!"