Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help for story (or essay) title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help for story (or essay) title
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to find the title of a short story (or maybe an essay) written by Ray Bradbury that appeared in Reader's Digest way back in the 1980's. I have forgotten what it was all about but definitely not sci-fi. It was very nostalgic and remembering it vaguely now, it reminded me of autumn with its cool air and fall colors. The only thing that stuck in my mind up to this day was the phrase "pick up the threads and the patterns of that lost dream again" that was quoter somewhere in the story.

Sorry for the lack of information. All I know is that I like that work.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Goodby, Grandma" (July '83, R.D.) or from Dandelion Wine, Pg.184, Bantam Grandmaster Edition.

A final reflection as Great Grandma Spaulding passes away after bidding farewell to all of her family: "That's better." Alone, she snuggled luxuriously down through the warm snowbank of linen and wool, sheet and cover, and the colors of patchwork quilt were bright as the circus banner of old time. Lying there, she felt as small and secret as on those mornings eighty-some-odd years ago when, wakening, she comforted her tender bones in bed...

"Now let me see... she cast her mind back. Where was I? she thought. Ninety years...how to take up the thread and the pattern of that lost dream again? She put out a small hand. There...Yes, that was it. She smiled."

ares_77: One of my favorite passages to read orally to students. It is a scene from real life!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-08-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I forget sometimes how good the writing is in that book. What a master of the art.
I love the part in DW about Grandma, Aunt Rose, and the cooking - something Ive read aloud at, well, readings!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also known as "The Leavetaking."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great passage. It literally takes my breath away!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post