Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Three Questions that are bugging me!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three Questions that are bugging me!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dandelion - I grew up in Waukegan. We left in March of 1969 to come to Phoenix. I had no idea that Ray was from Phoenix, until the other day when my aunt and I were talking about famous people that called Waukegan home. She told me about Ray being from there. I decided to look up any info and saw your post.
My aunt said that there use to be very large Victorian style homes built along the ravine, but were torn down years ago.
She didn't known Ray personally, but had followed some of his writings. We had a good time talking about what was around when she was younger and what is still around.

It's too bad that so much of the history has begun to fall to the wayside. My aunt got out her high school yearbook for 1940 - and it was fun to look and see what is around and what is gone. I use to go the the Genesee St. movie theatre, when I was a in grade school.
Thanks for prompting us to take a little trip back to another time.

Posts: 3 | Location: Phoenix, AZ USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where exaclty is the ravine and bridge in Waukegan, Illinois? I would really like to go see it if someone could tell me where it is.

Posts: 1 | Location: crystal lake, il | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before going on my trip, I sent for a map from the Waukegan Chamber of Commerce, which I then sent to Ray Bradbury, who marked it with important locations. The other day someone planning to visit Waukegan sent me an SASE and I sent them a photocopy of this map. Anyone wanting one, email cmashieldscapting@hotmail.com and I'll send you my name and address so you can send me an SASE. Try to go to the ravine only in daytime and not alone. Judging by the types I observed hanging around, it's an ideal spot for not only a modern-day "Lonely One," but his buddies as well!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 02-06-2002).]

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, the story of your 'pilgrimage' was terrific! As I live in Australia, I won't be making it to Illinois anytime soon. Could you post some of your photos on the site?

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can if they make some arrangement whereby people could e-mail pictures in and a webmaster could post them. I think that would be a neat idea. Maybe people have pictures of other sites? Ireland? Mexico? Venice Beach? Mars?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post