Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What a Wicked Age!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a Wicked Age!
 Login/Join

posted
In the novel Something Wicked...Jim wants to be older, and Charles wants to be younger. What a tricky thing Age is. We spend the first half of our lives wanting to be more and the second half wanting to be less. At what point is the shift? Does it happen overnight? In a moment? Is there one age we are all dreaming to be?

Big Brother is always watching-Dr. T.J. Eckleburg out!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the main time in a persons life that they wish to be older is during their teen years. A lot of freedom comes with being a teenager and yet there are still many restictions.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that kids just think that they can't do anything till they reach a certain age and then when they get their, and it's not what they expected and it passes by. Then when they have reached their peak then poeple just want to go back and re-live there lives because they were the best years of that persons life.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My desired age is 21 because then i can do everything that everyone else can do.Its not that i want to drink because I could do that with out being 21 its the fact that I can do it.

Posts: 4 | Location: scool | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ophelia:
In the novel Something Wicked...Jim wants to be older, and Charles wants to be younger. What a tricky thing Age is. We spend the first half of our lives wanting to be more and the second half wanting to be less. At what point is the shift? Does it happen overnight? In a moment? Is there one age we are all dreaming to be?
yeah I think that is very true I know I wish I could go forward about five years not just to be older but to see where I would be. I also know for a fact that most older people wish they could go back in time when they were younger and enjoy their time.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is true. The young want to be old and the old want to be young. The point is reached when you are at your lowest. Kids not being able to ride rides because of their height or the elderly shuffling around with tennis balls on their canes. It gets to a point where its depressing and I see that in Charles and Will.

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I agree with volleychick20 AND SWTWC. When you are young, kids think that they have no privelidges and can't do anything that they want to do. However, when you grow older, you have restrictions on what you can or can not do. As Jim feels, in Something Wicked This Way Comes, he is the one that wants to be older and grow up real fast and experience everything that he can in a short amount of time. Everybody wants to stay in a certain age period, never young or old.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that when many people reach the age that they really want whether it is 18 or 21 or whatever, they feel a little let down. I think that there is much more excitement in waiting to reach that age than there is once it is reached. That is probably why people do want to be younger because once you reach a certain age you quit looking forward to getting older. I mean how many people can't wait to turn 40?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that in Something wicked... Jim is wanting to be older and have more freedom but what he does not realize is that he will grow up soon enough. Charles was probably alot like Jim when he was a boy always wanting to be older, but now that he is all he wants to be is younger. I like how Bradbury takes both of them and compared and contrasts them.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think age is a big theme in Something Wicked This Way Comes. Jim wants to be older, Mr. Halloway wants to be younger, and Ms. Foley wants to be younger. When the circus arrives and there just happens to be a ride that can change age you know something crazy is going to happen.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah-
everyone seems to say they can't wait till the get older or i wish i could still do that ---i think it is an expression we all say at one time or another-the boys are facing a trival time in their lives and the events they face would make anyone confused!

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a very good point because no one can wait to grow up and then once you do you finally realize the simplicity of just being young.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where have all of our regular posters gone to?
I am really worried. I don't even recognize these names.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that everyone has a different age set of where they would like to be. I know that when I was young I just wanted to be older so that I wouldn't be treated like a little kid. But now that I'm getting older, I really enjoy the age that I am...and I'm trying to take the time to enjoy what I have.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its when your a teen. You change. You want to do more things you legally can't but now you can, so you resort to pcp and cocaine to make your high, but youre sad because why are you livin alive, homies are just livin to die!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post