Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What a Wicked Age!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a Wicked Age!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I always wished I could be older because the adults seemed like they have nothing to worry about but now that I have reached an age where many people expect things of me, I wish I was a kid again. I don't think people change their minds about how old they wish they were overnight. Instead, I think people think about it all along. They are uncomfortable with themselves and think that changing their age would make things better.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree to a terrible degree. I am on the verge of graduating and I am dreading it. I want to live in high school forever. If I could just freeze frame this moment and everyone in it then I would be happy. I will miss you Eagles forever.

Ray Rules

Posts: 2 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that kids are looking to be like some one they look up to.Then when they become that age they realize it's not what it cracks up to be.
I believe it's all the same with adults. I think they just want an excuse to act like a child again.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that 25 is the perfect age, your not a teenager,and your not yet 30. For some reason people think they start getting old when they hit 30.....But 25 is perfect, you've hit 16, 18 and 21 and at 25 ur right in the middle of too young and getting old.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the transition comes when you finally realize how hard life is when you become an adult. My time has come now that I don't have free time everyday. I have to work and go to school and balance all my other activities. I want to turn back the days already.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would just like to stay in highschool for four more years and not go to college but still get a job. I'd rather just freeze time until I get sick of it.

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to be around 22 or 23. That would make me in my prime. I would be able to buy and do anything I want at that age.

Posts: 24 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ophelia:
In the novel Something Wicked...Jim wants to be older, and Charles wants to be younger. What a tricky thing Age is. We spend the first half of our lives wanting to be more and the second half wanting to be less. At what point is the shift? Does it happen overnight? In a moment? Is there one age we are all dreaming to be?

Its scary because like one of the quotes in the book....can you handle decisions you make for the long run (my cut and dry version of the quote)....I think a lot of people waste part of their life away by wishing for something they cant have or dont need. Its crummy how it works but it happens in all of us.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this discussion about age and wondering when "the shift" occurs. I used to think I would never make it to 21...seemed an ocean away. Then after that point, time picked up speed. I guess it's the longing that slows time down. The perfect age? In the moment, I think. My only regret is that I didn't take a year off after high school to regroup, relax, and reinvent the world around me. I think I still would have gone on to college but with a much clearer vision. Anyway, I agree about the characters worrying and philosophizing about their age in SWTWC.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that I am at my desired age 18-19.
At this age your are old enough to be free with very few rules, but young enough that you can still be supported by your parents.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that we want to be older around the age of 15 because we can't drive just yet and we can't go to clubs like everyone else. I think we start to want to be younger when we are about 60 just because you start to retire and think of things you use to do. I think that 18 is a good age I didn't like being younger but I'm sure not asking to be older now.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that that wicked age is different for different people. I think most people want to be older until they are about 22-29, and want to be younger the rest of their lives until they finally reach the 80-90 years and are just thankful to be alive still.
Personally, I would like to go back to being in sixth grade. I enjoyed that time in my life, because I had great friends and teachers, and life was all around fun!

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post