Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    "Tomorrow and Tomorrow"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Tomorrow and Tomorrow"
 Login/Join

posted
Subject: Location of Ray Bradbury�s �Tomorrow and Tomorrow.�

Maybe someone can help me on this.

Ray Bradbury wrote a short story called �Tomorrow and Tomorrow.� I have no idea when he wrote it. I read it years ago in a Belmont paperback anthology. The story may not be his most brilliant work, but every time I read it, I love it. (One particular paragraph is a masterpiece in itself. I�m a great admirer of well-written paragraphs.) It�s one of those stories, like Salinger�s �For Esm�with Love and Squalor,� that I make a point of reading at least once every year or two. But a couple years ago I lost the book, and I�ve been searching in vain ever since for a copy of this story.

Would any of you happen to know if the story was ever collected in one of RB�s short story collections? To me the story is a classic, but apparently not classic enough to be collected in any of his more popular collections. Or maybe I just haven�t looked hard enough.

If anyone on this board knows the story and knows where I might find it, I�d be grateful to be enlightened.

Thanks,

Phillip

Posts: 4 | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Phillip, you're outta luck. "The Ray Bradbury Companion" lists the 1967 anthology "Untamed" as this story's only book appearance! It may have been anthologized since then, but it hasn't been collected--I checked, and listed all his uncollected stories under the thread "Complete Story Listings." "Tomorrow and Tomorrow" is one of the 50 stories I haven't even read! Translation = REALLY hard to find! You could try www.addall.com, www.bookfinder.com, or keep searching eBay for a copy of this anthology. While studying literature I learned an awful lot of Bradbury titles come from well-known poems. "Tomorrow and Tomorrow" is from a play by Shakespeare, don't ask me which.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phillip, stories listed under the rather misleadingly-titled thread "Complete Story Listings," which this is, are uncollected. The real complete story listings appear under "Story Classifications."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle!

- etc. That's Macbeth, having a REALLY bad hair day.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At www.bookfinder.com it's listed as "Time Untamed," with 17 copies ranging from about $4-$12.

posted Hide Post
For those of you who haven't read the story, it's definitely worth tracking down. Here's a quote from it:

�Somebody had kicked him in the head, for no reason. At least that�s how it felt when he woke up the next morning. The room had a disturbed, electric feel to it, as if some one had drifted in, hovered over him, and vanished instantly just before his eyes opened.�

It reminds of another paragraph I read in one of RB�s stories (if you can believe I have a memory for paragraphs like this). I distinctly remember a similar description of someone opening their eyes and having the feeling that someone had just been there in the room. Maybe he put the description from �Tomorrow and Tomorrow� to better use in another story (or novel) and therefore decided to not collect �T&T.�

Still, it's worth tracking down.

posted Hide Post
Somewhat like a "prescience"!

How about the opening of F451?
"The last few nights he had had the most uncertain feeling about the sidewalk, around the corner, moving in the starlight toward his house. He had felt that a moment prior to making the turn, someone had been there. The air still seemed charged with a special calm as if someone had waited there, quietly, and only a moment before he came, simply turned to a shadow and let him through." (from Hearth and the Salamander)

From beginning of Martian Chronicles:
It was coming nearer. It was like in the days when you heard a thunderstorm coming and there was the waiting silence and then the faintest pressure of the atmosphere as the climate blew over the land in shifts and shadows and vapors. You were suspended in the time of the approaching storm...You began to tremble. (from Feb. 1999: Ylla)

One more from the opening of Dandelion Wine:
They came to a little rise and looked ahead. Douglas looked quickly, saw nothing..but still paused and listened. Yes, something was going to happen. I know it! 'We're surrounded!' he thought. It'll happen! Come out, wherever you are, whatever you are!
Now! Here it comes. Running! I don't see it! running! Almost on me! (scene of "picking the fox grapes")

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-08-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that's the paragraph I was thinking of, the one from F451. It's interesting to see how RB uses a similar description more than once. It's easy to get away with it because most people aren't going to notice the repetition, if you can call it that.

posted Hide Post
So, I lied about its being rare and expensive. Actually, if you go to www.addall.com and do a title search on "Time Untamed" (no author listed, so disregard any listing an author) there are about 20 copies, both British and American, first editions and reprints, all for $5.00 and under.

posted Hide Post
is anyone here? i just wanted to say i am a young inspired reader... i just finished farenheit 451. wow! what a great book! i am really getting into ray's stuff now.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post