Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
How has Fahrenheit 451 inspire you and in what fashion?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It ispired me on how people love books. Faber was almost madly in love with books even though he hasn't been with one in a long time. I also found it inspiring that the books inpired Guy to do what he did. He didn't even understand the books but he was inspired to tell the world about them. He had to go to extreme measures to do this too. He killed a dude for christ sake (it was pretty cool how he did it though).

Posts: 6 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451 made me think of how the near distant future is coming so rapid. I think Ray Bradbury hit the nail on the coffin, with the thought of people getting addicted to the television, and that there will be no more use of books. I don't think in the future that they will burn books, but I do think that people will not be reading as much. In the 1950's (Which Fahrenheit 451 was wrote), television first began to go mainstream. Since then, people have been glued to the TV and not looking that they are going to stop for a long time. Well, I'm very avid watcher of the TV and I don't see myself reading anytime soon, unless it's for school,of course.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can you say they won't burn books in the future. Remember Hitler? It's happened before and it can happen again. I'll take reading over t.v. anyday. Read a book then watch the movie. The movie version always pales. Remember one thing it's up to us to keep books alive. Please read to your children, your grandchildren, or anyone that will listen. Books are our link to our past, a grasp on our present and a look into our future!

Posts: 2 | Location: Wheelersburg, Ohio U.S. | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451 has inspired me in away I would of never thought of. "I don't know. We have everything we need to be happy, but we aren't happy. Something's missing. I looked around. The only thing I positively knew was gone was the books I'd burned in ten or twelve years. So I thought books might help." Pg. 82. I feel that when people read a book they might just skip the true meaning of the story. Sometimes when I read a book the lesson really makes me think how it corresponds with everyday life. Just like Montag was saying, "Something was missing", I feel that what was missing was the lessons that people get out of books. Most of the characters in Fahrenheit 451 never read a book, so there for they are missing out on a lesson that might somehow make them a happier person. So, in other words what I took out of Fahrenheit 451 was to really take in and learn from the true meanings of the books that I read.

[This message has been edited by Kellyk (edited 08-30-2004).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It inspired me to look around the society we have today and what it's become. Many of the same things are happening now. It makes me question if we are all just warped into the media's image. For example, people spend more time watching tv now then anything else. It isn't like the good old days when we were all kids being outside the whole day and begging our moms "five more minutes" now its as if we are all stuck in our houses watching the telivison because thats the only fun entertainment that we can find in our lives. People believe anything that comes out of it. As if it was coming from a higher being. It has also inspired me to read more, maybe there is actually meanings to books that could help me through everyday life; something that I can often relate to.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It had me thinking that maybe I should start reading books again. It showed me how important books are and why we are encouraged so much at school to read.

I used to read books a while back, but I sort of lost interest. I remember how much I enjoyed reading Charlotte�s Web, Harry Potter, and other children�s books. I then thought that books were only biographies of old presidents and easy ways of getting money. Reading this book opened my eyes and made me realize that there are still books to read that have good plots and make me want to turn to the next page. I am definitely going to start reading books more often besides for English class.

Fahrenheit 451 also taught me the dangers of too much TV and how it can manipulate our minds and eventually disables our ability to think freely.

I think schools across the nation should require students to read this book. It can change their attitude towards books; I know it changed mine.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 has made me reilize how important books really are and how weird the world would be with out them. WE would have nothing to do and probablly be like Mildred. WE would be no where without books, for example like the bible. Books are such a big part of our society today. So many people depend on them. So this book made me appreciate them even more.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving a really old thread to post a fairly old newspaper article on the history and significance of book burning. F451 and Orwell are referenced:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/book...-quran-history-nazis

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toronto Public Library picks Fahrenheit 451 for annual Keep Toront Reading Festival. Print ads will feature Toronto firefighters. Wonder if any of them have the name Montag or Beatty?

http://www.thestar.com/enterta...eading_festival.html

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ktr/one-book.jsp

More on the Keep Toronto Reading Festival 2013.
Interesting to read a firefighter's review of the book.

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bytorbass:
...More on the Keep Toronto Reading Festival 2013.

And more, with a poster design and a related game: http://thenocturnallibrarian.com/tag/ray-bradbury/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and then there is this from Sam Weller (not sure if it had been posted previously):
http://www.dallasnews.com/opin...n-fahrenheit-451.ece

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several RB topics of interest within this page:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/tag/ray-bradbury/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, in our neck of the woods it is about -25Fahrenheit :
"The temperature at which everything freezes solid and becomes immovable!"
https://www.facebook.com/photo...4175344&l=589fa8c7d8

Click "Next" in upper corner, but only if you are warmly dressed.