Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What short story was this?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What short story was this?
 Login/Join

posted
In my sophomore year of high school, my class read this short story where a man comes into this woman's home, takes their baby and leaves. It was a really sad story. Anyone know the name?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 12 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome mchlljy.
Do you remember this as a Bradbury story? What other details?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome!
I remember it as a Bradbury story but then again this 3-4 years ago when I read this short story.
I remember that the couple were fighting. She tries to stop him from but he doesn't say much. I think he packs all his belongings and then takes their baby with him. The woman is then left all alone in her house

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 12 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is definitely no published Ray Bradbury story of that description.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say "definitely", but I would say "highly unlikely" to be Bradbury. It doesn't ring any bells with me, and it doesn't sound like the type of story Bradbury would write.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Douglas on the 100% not Bradbury classification. Also don't recognize it from the one collection he edited which I read and haven't read the other.

I do wish to note we have at least enough for one anthology of stories mistakenly attributed to Bradbury which we shall call The Misattributed Man.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...we have at least enough for one anthology of stories mistakenly attributed to Bradbury which we shall call The Misattributed Man.

...and the first 13 stories in that anthology would be "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Rumpelstiltskin to me.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and the first 13 stories in that anthology would be "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut.[/QUOTE]

Some of them would be Asimov's "Rain, Rain, Go Away".
("Honestly, you'd think they were made of sugar and afraid they would melt.")

And Jack Finney's "The Third Level" was --- IS --- so Bradburyesqe that I listed it there. After checking the name of the author several times over the years in disbelief that it wasn't R.B.

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury was not amused when I told him his #1 author confused with him was Vonnegut. Asimov would be #2. Besides "Rain, Rain, Go Away," we've also had "The Fun They Had" and "Nightfall" so many times I finally bought an Asimov collection to read if I ever have time!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David Copperfield:Title: The Personal History of David Copperfield
Publisher: London: Bradbury & Evans, 1849-1850
Publication Date: 1850
Binding: Hardcover
Edition: 1st Edition Price: US$ 17500.00

How Ironic!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG YOU GUYS!! Who wrote "Nightfall" was a Jeopardy clue this evening and the contestant identified the author as Bradbury!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
OMG YOU GUYS!! Who wrote "Nightfall" was a Jeopardy clue this evening and the contestant identified the author as Bradbury!!!

D'oh! The same thing would happen with "Harrison Bergeron", I reckon!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I was TOTALLY yelling "ASIMOV!" at the screen! I told my cousin "Nightfall" has been called (I forget by who) the greatest science fiction story of all time. I actually have the book--in a box downstairs--now I guess I gotta dig it out and read it! I also have Buy Jupiter and Other Stories which contains one or two others frequently mistaken for Bradbury. I told my cousin about the Vonnegut story and Bradbury not being thrilled at being mistaken for Vonnegut and my cousin said, "I don't blame him."

posted Hide Post
"Nightfall" has won a few polls for "best SF story". Fortunately, it is quite a short story, so it won't take long for you to familiarise yourself with it!

(It's not very good as a piece of writing, but it has the old-fashioned sensawunda that people used to identify with "good" science fiction. I can think of a dozen Bradbury stories that beat it hands down.)

- Phil