Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Bradbury's Feel-Good Stories
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury's Feel-Good Stories
 Login/Join

posted
In times when a little escapism is in order, when you just want Uncle Ray to take you away from all of life's ugliness, which of his stories would you immerse yourself into or recommend to another?

My favorite of his feel-good stories is PICASSO SUMMER. After I read that story I feel relaxed and contented, as well as inspired and invigorated.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Sound of Summer Running."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal choice: "The Parrot Who Met Papa", which never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
feel good stories? well, about all of dandelion wine. also, theres "R is for Rocket." and maybe uh...... hm........

strange, i cant think of any others.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How 'bout "the Million Year Picnic" or "The Toynbee Convector"?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
''''April Witch''''

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair," from The Toynbee Convector.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the million year picnic, thats the one about the family going to mars when earth is ruined? that didnt make me happy...

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and did you notice there was extreme trouble brewing? The one family had three boys and the other four girls. Unless one girl died or the other family managed to produce another boy, I sense heavy sibling rivalry brewing! (Worse if there was one boy none of the girls liked, and another that two or more liked.)

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, i saw that too. or what if anybody was infertile? i always guessed that nature wouldnt let that kind of thing happen happen, unless it wanted humans to be extinct. very interresting...

posted Hide Post
I also enjoy the Laurel and Hardy stories. I also enjoyed, as a light lark, "Junior".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I Sing The Body Electric!" fits the bill for me, and the movie,"The Electric Grandmother" (based on the same story) is poignant and uplifting at the same time.

The song from "Fame," (The Body Electric) I guess, must have something to do with RB. Anyone know more?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gs, A good question! There are many memorable s.s. and moments within novels, too.

For pure kindness and love from the heart - father (parent) to his family, "The Rocket" from I.M. The world needs more spirit like that of Fiorello Bodoni's.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow,

I don't know the song you refer to, but let's not forget that Bradbury took his title from Walt Whitman: http://www.bartleby.com/142/19.html

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
I guess I hadn't thought of that factor, I was thinking of the theme that despite all of man's failings, there was still a seed of hope for the future (as difficult as that future might be).

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post